Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Questa Simulation

Aswinkrishnan
Beginner

Hi

I am trying to write and read from on-chip memory using SPI in QSYS. The command goes in correctly by observing MOSI line, but the received values are always 0xXX. My question is that

1. In questa, can we view signals of a subcomponent inside a top level component instantiated in the test bench?

2. Is it better to write a test bench on top level entity or on lower level (sub component level)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sure. You can view those subcomponent signals by using Wave -> All items in region and below.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You may write a test bench on top level entity.

Then in Questa, go to sim tab -> right-click testbench name -> Add to -> Wave -> All items in region and below

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos
Aswinkrishnan
Beginner

Thank you for the response. I know that. What I meant was, If the top level entity is a qsys component, having a SPI interface and an on-chip memory RAM, can I view the subcomponent signals in my SPI interface. The SPI interface my custom IP consisting of several subcomponents and can I view its signals?

Like going into submodule level

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sure. You can view those subcomponent signals by using Wave -> All items in region and below.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
Aswinkrishnan
Beginner

Thank you for these quick responses and it helps while learning about the FPGA design as a beginner. Appreciate your help. 

0 Kudos