Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

[SDC] Input/Output delay for All ports -> script writing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

How can I create the timing constraints (set_input/output_delay) for all ports (excepting clocks and reset ports)?  

Let's say the design has the following clocks: clk0, clk1, clk2 and following resets: rstn0, rstn1, rstn2 and hundreds of other ports. 

How can I write a script, which set input delays of 0ns for all input ports (excepting clk0, clk1, clk2, rstn0, rstn1, rstn2) and output delays of 0ns for all output ports?  

Thank you!
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't quite understand what you want to accomplish here. Your input and output delays could be 0 for a *minimum* delay, but you also need a matching *maximum* delay. The range of delay is required to give the Fitter an idea of what it has to work with as to the placement of the input or output register. 

set_input_delay -clock <virtual clock that drives upstream device> -max [get_ports in*] <max external delay based on tco of upstream device and board delays> 

set_input_delay -clock <virtual clock that drives upstream device> -min [get_ports in*] 0 

set_output_delay -clock <virtual clock that drives downstream device> -max [get_ports out*] <max external delay based on tsu of downstream device and board delays> 

set_output_delay -clock <virtual clock that drives downstream device> -min [get_ports out*] 0
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does the [get_ports out*] list all the output ports and [get_ports in*] list all the input ports? 

How can I exclude certain ports from these listings? 

Is it possible to work with collections here? 

How to remove the input/output delay constraints from the certain ports? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I run the get_ports out* command from Quartus console, I'm receiving the following errors?  

Error:ERROR: Quartus Prime Tcl command "get_ports" is only available for use in the following executables: Error: quartus_fit Error: quartus_sta Error: while executing Error: get_ports out*  

Why? How to fix?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used in* and out* as examples. You have to put in your own port names.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

this is exactly what I asked for :-) how to list ALL input ports without listing each port separately!  

How can I make a collection (list) of ALL the input ports (something like 'create_collection all_inputs')?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just use all_inputs or all_outputs as your collection.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

running the all_inputs command gives the same result: 

Error:ERROR: Quartus Prime Tcl command "all_inputs" is only available for use in the following executables: Error: quartus_fit Error: quartus_sta Error: while executing Error:"all_inputs" 

So, what's the solution?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you show your sdc file?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's very simple - just several lines...  

set_time_format -unit ns -decimal_places 3 create_clock -name {clk} -period 10.000 -waveform { 0.000 5.000 } create_clock -name {fifo_rclk} -period 10.000 -waveform { 0.000 5.000 } set_input_delay -clock { clk } 5 set_output_delay -clock { clk } 5
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use something like: 

set data_inputs [all_inputs] 

set data_inputs [remove_from_collection [all_inputs] clk] 

That will create a list without clock. If you want to remove something else, do another line: 

set data_inputs [remove_from_collection $data_inputs reset] 

Repeat as necessary. If you want to visually see what's in it, then do: 

query_collection -all -report $data_inputs 

Once correct, use in constraint: 

set_input_delay -clock clk -max 0.0 $data_inputs 

Then repeat for outputs
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

set_input_delay [get_ports * ] ... =====>the * wildcard covers all the input ports 

remove_input_delay [get_ports clk] ===> will remove the input delay on the specified port 

Same thing for output delay. 

http://quartushelp.altera.com/15.0/mergedprojects/tafs/tafs/tcl_pkg_sdc_ver_1.5_cmd_remove_input_delay.htm
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Just use all_inputs or all_outputs as your collection. 

--- Quote End ---  

OK, how could I list all the elements in these collections? What are the generated collections names?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

OK, how could I list all the elements in these collections? What are the generated collections names? 

--- Quote End ---  

I have a TCL script that has these lines in it to create files with the various 'collections' contents listed: 

set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection element { puts $chan ] } close $chan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried to run the ferst example: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

set chan [open "TQ_all_clocks.rpt" "w"] 

foreach_in_collection element [all_clocks] { 

puts $chan [concat $element : [get_object_info -name $element]] 

close $chan 

The 'all_clocks' command is not recognized (ran from the Tcl Console). I've got the following: 

Error:ERROR: Quartus Prime Tcl command "all_clocks" is only available for use in the following executables: 

Error: quartus_fit 

Error: quartus_sta 

Error: while executing 

Error:"all_clocks" 

Error: invoked from within 

Error:"foreach_in_collection element [all_clocks] { puts $chan [concat $element : [get_object_info -name $element]]}" 

So, what's the problem? How could be fixed? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I tried to run the ferst example: 

set chan [open "TQ_all_clocks.rpt" "w"] 

foreach_in_collection element [all_clocks] { 

puts $chan [concat $element : [get_object_info -name $element]] 

close $chan 

The 'all_clocks' command is not recognized (ran from the Tcl Console). I've got the following: 

Error:ERROR: Quartus Prime Tcl command "all_clocks" is only available for use in the following executables: 

Error: quartus_fit 

Error: quartus_sta 

Error: while executing 

Error:"all_clocks" 

Error: invoked from within 

Error:"foreach_in_collection element [all_clocks] { puts $chan [concat $element : [get_object_info -name $element]]}" 

So, what's the problem? How could be fixed? 

Thank you! 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok, so here is my complete example. Previously I just posted snippets but they need to be run in the correct context. 

I run this on the command line: 

$(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_sta -t generate_timing.tcl $(DESIGN) 10 

Where the contents of the file generate_timing.tcl is as follows: 

set projname set numpaths project_open $projname create_timing_netlist read_sdc set_operating_conditions -model slow -grade c update_timing_netlist report_timing -setup -npaths $numpaths -detail path_only -file "TQ_setup_slow.rpt" set_operating_conditions -model fast -grade c update_timing_netlist report_timing -hold -npaths $numpaths -detail path_only -file "TQ_hold_fast.rpt" report_exceptions -file "TQ_exceptions.rpt" set chan foreach_in_collection reg { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection reg { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection reg { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection reg { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection cell { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection pin { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection net { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection port { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection clk { puts $chan ] } close $chan set chan foreach_in_collection keeper { puts $chan ] } close $chan exit
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

where do you run the script? from outside of the Quartus? But ow can I run the same commands from the TCL Console (from inside of Quartus)?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

where do you run the script? from outside of the Quartus? But ow can I run the same commands from the TCL Console (from inside of Quartus)? 

--- Quote End ---  

As I indicated I run the commands from the command line using this command: 

quartus_sta -t generate_timing.tcl MY_DESIGN 10 

so the tcl script is fed to the Quartus Static Timing Analyzer (quartus_sta) application. 

So basically the tcl command script in the file is run on the TCL console within the quartus_sta application.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If run from a script, then the following are necessary: 

set projname [lindex $quartus(args) 0] 

set numpaths [lindex $quartus(args) 1] 

project_open $projname 

Most scripts I run I launch TimeQuest on the project and double-click on Update Timing Netlist, which does the following: 

create_timing_netlist 

read_sdc 

set_operating_conditions -model slow -grade c 

update_timing_netlist 

At that point I run a timing analysis script or whatever I need to do.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If run from a script, then the following are necessary: 

create_timing_netlist 

read_sdc 

update_timing_netlist 

--- Quote End ---  

Why this order? Intuitively I'd do it in this order: 

read_sdc 

create_timing_netlist 

Why this order will not work?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why this order? Intuitively I'd do it in this order: 

read_sdc 

create_timing_netlist 

Why this order will not work? 

--- Quote End ---  

You have to create the timing netlist before you can apply the sdc commands to it ... doesn't work the other way around.
0 Kudos