Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

SLD Hub Controller System - Parameter ENABLE_JTAG_IO_SELECTION can't be used

FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hello,
I'm currently adding remote debugging features via SLD Hub Controller System IP to an existing FPGA design. As previously mentioned by other users, we would really wish a detailed documentation beyond the information in AN 693. It would probably make this post superfluous.

Anyway, present problem is this: By instantiating SLD Hub Controller System in the design, hardware JTAG access to the debug nodes is cut. I presume that the parameter ENABLE_JTAG_IO_SELECTION was intended to provide a switch between remote and locale hardware SLD access, I guess in conjunction with the input signal s0_debugaccess which is presently unused. However, setting ENABLE_JTAG_IO_SELECTION = 1 causes a synthesis error according to the below code in module sld_hub_ctrlsys_sld_hub_controller_system_0.v

generate
		// If any of the display statements (or deliberately broken
		// instantiations) within this generate block triggers then this module
		// has been instantiated this module with a set of parameters different
		// from those it was generated for.  This will usually result in a
		// non-functioning system.
		if (ENABLE_JTAG_IO_SELECTION != 0)
		begin
			initial begin
				$display("Generated module instantiated with wrong parameters");
				$stop;
			end
			instantiated_with_wrong_parameters_error_see_comment_above
					enable_jtag_io_selection_check ( .error(1'b1) );
		end
	endgenerate

If I understand right, the feature ENABLE_JTAG_IO_SELECTION was planned but not yet implemented.

Any ideas about it?

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
6 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi FvM,

I will get back to you when have relevant info.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi FvM,

I think there is a latest document to follow on the remote debugging.

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/RemoteSystemDebug

Are you using Arria10 on your side?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi Aik,
yes I know the rocketboards document, thanks for mentioning. I'm aware that the question in the initial post addresses a specific feature of the SLD hub controller system which may be simply unimplemented. It's not actually essential for my application.

Presently I'm on the way to make the remote debug toolchain work on a Cyclone 10 LP platform. I may come back with questions regarding system console and mmlink operation.

Frank
0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi FvM,

Any follow up from the previous comment?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi Aik,

no questions presently.

As for my orginal complains about missing ENABLE_JTAG_IO_SELECTION functionality, I wonder if it's also not working in underlying altera_sld_host_endpoint, or only has been disabled in streaming_sld_hub_controller due to incompatibility with the intended function. Unfortunately there's no documentation, as already mentioned. But that's something we can find out by test.

Regarding system console and mmlink, we are currently pursuing a different approach. Connect sld_hub at a lower level, bypassing the extensive protocol translation in sld_hub_controller_system.

Thanks for helping

Frank

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi FvM,

I will close this thread for now since you are still attempting to perform test on your side. Do consider open a new thread for any latest query.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos