Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Schematic highs and lows

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are there any simple ways to force a schematic signal to logic HIGH other than tying it to VCC symbol? How about forcing a logic LOW other than tying to a GND symbol?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are there any simple ways to force a schematic signal to logic HIGH other than tying it to VCC symbol? How about forcing a logic LOW other than tying to a GND symbol? 

--- Quote End ---  

The you mentioned above is the simplest way. Also, you can define a middle signal which is connected to VCC or GND, then you can use this middle signal as the high or low.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think what Jerry meant was that you could connect a net to VCC or GND and call it something like LOGIC_HIGH. Then label any net you want connected to it also LOGIC_HIGH. 

As a quick reference, if you were using HDL, connecting to high or low is as simple as: 

some_sig <= '1';
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think what Jerry meant was that you could connect a net to VCC or GND and call it something like LOGIC_HIGH. Then label any net you want connected to it also LOGIC_HIGH. 

As a quick reference, if you were using HDL, connecting to high or low is as simple as: 

some_sig <= '1'; 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, as attached image shows!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hmmm... not sure the thumbnail is technically legal since the VCC and GND are single signals (although it may still work). It would be OK for that purpose, but for a bus I would use the primitive lpm_constant.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can connect a bus to GND/VCC without a problem. 

Any reason you're using schematics and not HDL?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just an old-timer doing some relatively frequency and pulse generation - 24 programmable counters and one-shots. Easier for me to do in schematics (the ldm_xxx Megafunctions work great) then trying to control synchronized counters in HDL.

0 Kudos