Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Signal Tap does not support the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to build a simple NIOS system in a MAX10 using Quartus 17.0 and Qsys but I keep getting this set of warnings: 

Warning (12189): OpenCore Simulation-Only Evaluation feature is turned on for all cores in the design 

Warning (12191): Some cores in this design do not support the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature 

Warning (12192): "Signal Tap" does not support the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature 

After that the sof file is not produced. 

Shouldn't the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature allow me to build the project in tethered or time-limited mode? 

Is the OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation license enabled by default in Quartus? 

If I remove the JTAG option from NIOS, the project is built just fine and the sof file is normally created, but then I can not upload code to NIOS. 

Can I overcome the problem by somehow disabling Signal Tap and keep JTAG?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using the fast or economy core? I'm assuming the fast core. And are you using the Lite or Standard edition of Quartus? 

These are strange warnings. What if you disable Signal Tap?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Are you using Quartus std edition? 

Try by changing setting  

1. In the Intel Quartus Prime software, click Assignments ➤ Settings ➤Compilation Process Settings. 

2. Click the More Settings button. 

3. For OpenCore Plus hardware evaluation, select Disable. 

refer link for more information 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6bvcnnmv2q8j:https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an320.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=my 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you using the fast or economy core? I'm assuming the fast core. And are you using the Lite or Standard edition of Quartus? 

These are strange warnings. What if you disable Signal Tap? 

--- Quote End ---  

I tried all NIOS core versions, including classic. Same result. 

How do I disable Signal Tap?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Are you using Quartus std edition? 

Try by changing setting  

1. In the Intel Quartus Prime software, click Assignments ➤ Settings ➤Compilation Process Settings. 

2. Click the More Settings button. 

3. For OpenCore Plus hardware evaluation, select Disable. 

refer link for more information 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6bvcnnmv2q8j:https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an320.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=my 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation) 

--- Quote End ---  

I have tried that. Still no sof. The warning is now: 

Warning (12193): OpenCore Plus Hardware Evaluation feature will not be used - it has been explicitly disabled for this design
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Disable Signal Tap in Assignments -> Settings -> Signal Tap.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Disable Signal Tap in Assignments -> Settings -> Signal Tap. 

--- Quote End ---  

It's already disabled. Still no sof.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure why Anand told you to turn off OpenCore Plus; you need it on if you want to be able to use an IP without a license. 

Let me summarize your setup: 

Quartus Prime 17.0 (lite or standard edition?) 

MAX 10 device 

Nios II /f core 

Signal Tap 

Do you have any other IP in your design besides Nios that perhaps requires a license? As the warning says, there's an IP that does not support OpenCore Plus. Nios II /f most definitely does, so perhaps there's something else that doesn't.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm not sure why Anand told you to turn off OpenCore Plus; you need it on if you want to be able to use an IP without a license. 

Let me summarize your setup: 

Quartus Prime 17.0 (lite or standard edition?) 

MAX 10 device 

Nios II /f core 

Signal Tap 

Do you have any other IP in your design besides Nios that perhaps requires a license? As the warning says, there's an IP that does not support OpenCore Plus. Nios II /f most definitely does, so perhaps there's something else that doesn't. 

--- Quote End ---  

I use Quartus 17.0 standard trial 

MAX10 

Tried all Nios cores including II/e, /f and classic 

I have not installed Signal Tap separately. I only have Quartus. 

My test design only has Nios and clock source. 

Note that when I uncheck "Include JTAG Debug" from the Nios parameters in Qsys, the sof is normally created with no warnings. 

But with JTAG disabled I cannot program Nios, can I?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Without JTAG, when Nios boots, it will look for code at the reset vector you set in the Nios parameter settings. 

You're saying your processor isn't connected to anything? You have to have the instruction and data masters connected somewhere. 

Try using the Lite edition of Quartus instead of Standard unless you have a license for Standard edition. If you don't, have you gone beyond the 30 day trial period for Standard?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Without JTAG, when Nios boots, it will look for code at the reset vector you set in the Nios parameter settings. 

You're saying your processor isn't connected to anything? You have to have the instruction and data masters connected somewhere. 

Try using the Lite edition of Quartus instead of Standard unless you have a license for Standard edition. If you don't, have you gone beyond the 30 day trial period for Standard? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, sorry. I do have an on-chip memory connected, but this is not causing any problems. 

My Quartus is still within the trial period.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So you are using Standard. I don't know what else to check out other than to try the Lite Edition.

0 Kudos