Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

SignalTap II or In-System Sources Probes Editor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have just upgraded to version 10.1 of QuartusII. I can see a new test interface "In-System Sources Probes Editor". I have always used the SignalTap II for debugging. 

Can anyone tell me what is better to use for new designs? I have read about the new interface and is it correct that its strength is that it is possible to generate test patterns to input pins? 

Regards, 

Morten
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is Sources and Probes really that new of a feature? to me they have slightly different applications. 

Sources and Probes is great for board bring up to toggle outputs and read inputs without writing any HDL (besides a port map). it is also useful for emulating push buttons or similiar signals 

SignalTap is "read only" but has simple and complex triggers. it can buffer a large amount of data which is then read out by JTAG which is really useful for in system debug
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

is Sources and Probes really that new of a feature? to me they have slightly different applications. 

Sources and Probes is great for board bring up to toggle outputs and read inputs without writing any HDL (besides a port map). it is also useful for emulating push buttons or similiar signals 

SignalTap is "read only" but has simple and complex triggers. it can buffer a large amount of data which is then read out by JTAG which is really useful for in system debug 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

keep in mind tha tyou have to build-in the "Source and Probe" instance directly in your source code by yourself. For signaltap you don't have to change your source code. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

good point

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your replies. I think I got a better understanding of the differences between the two.

0 Kudos