Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15469 Discussions

Source-Synchoronous Interface: Edge Aligned SDR Clock constraint

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi.  

I am designing using a Cypress FX3 device (CYUSB3014-BZXC) and a Cyclone IV FPGA (EP4CE115F29C8). The FPGA has a external 50 MHz oscillator. The design should run @ 100 MHz. To do this I have an internal PLL to generate it.  

The FX3 device has a 32 bits source synchronous interface running @100MHz clock coming from the FPGA. The FX3 device receive the data center-aligned.  

As guidance for the port name I has the following ones: 

module SLAVE_FIFO_STREAM_IN( input CLOCK_50, //input clp 50 Mhz inout FX3_DQ, //data bus output FX3_faddr, //output fifo address output FX3_slrd, //output read select output FX3_slwr, //output write select input FX3_flaga, //full flag input FX3_flagb, //partial full flag input FX3_flagc, //empty flag input FX3_flagd, //empty partial flag output FX3_sloe, //output output enable select output FX3_CLK, //output clk 100 Mhz and 180 phase shift output FX3_slcs, //output chip select output FX3_pktend, //output pkt end output FX3_PMODE, output FX3_RESET, output FX3_PMODE_2 //used for debugging );  

I already set the next into my design: 

1) An altddio_out_component to shift the out clock 180° (Connected the datain_h(1'b0) and datain_l(1'b1) to make it) 

2) I already set the output parallel interface as: "set_instance_assignment -name FAST_OUTPUT_REGISTER ON" 

3) My SDC constraints are the next ones: 

set_time_format -unit ns -decimal_places 3 # **************************************************************# Create Clock# ************************************************************** create_clock -name CLOCK_50M -period 20.000 create_generated_clock -name CLOCK_100M -multiply_by 2 -source }] }] # **************************************************************# Create Generated Clock# ************************************************************** # Put a generated clock on output clock port to be referenced by set_output_delay constraints. Note the -invert option, which says the clock is being inverted on the way out. This is important# since Quartus doesn't recognize the DDR output with VCC/GND switched as inverting the clock create_generated_clock -source }] -name CLOCK_FX3 -invert set_false_path -to # Constrain the PLL automatically derive_pll_clocks -create_base_clocks # **************************************************************# Set Clock Uncertainty# ************************************************************** derive_clock_uncertainty # ################################################################################ Parameters# ############################################################################### # Specify the maximum external clock delay to the FPGA set FX3_CLKs_max 0# Specify the minimum external clock delay to the FPGA set FX3_CLKs_min 0# Specify the maximum external clock delay to the external device set FX3_CLKd_max 0# Specify the minimum external clock delay to the external device set FX3_CLKd_min 0# Specify the maximum setup time of the external device set FX3_tSU 2# Specify the minimum setup time of the external device set FX3_tH 0.5# Specify the maximum board delay set FX3_BD_max 0# Specify the minimum board delay set FX3_BD_min 0 # Specify the maximum clock-to-out of the external device set FX3_tCO_max 9# Specify the minimum clock-to-out of the external device set FX3_tCO_min 2 # ################################################################################ Output constraints# ############################################################################### set_output_delay -clock CLOCK_FX3 -max set_output_delay -clock CLOCK_FX3 -min -add_delay # ################################################################################ Input constraints# ############################################################################### set_input_delay -clock CLOCK_FX3 -max set_input_delay -clock CLOCK_FX3 -min  

I have been reviewing the Timequest guides provided in the AlteraWiki and the corresponding manuals. But I cannot evacuate the next doubt: 

As the design has a clock offset of 180° between the launch and the latch clock, (relative to the outputs to the device) I do not know which is the right way to constraint this. I should use a set_multicycle_path command? The design has a synchonizer between the register coming from the external device, but I do not know how tell this to Timequest. 

I attached a zipped file for the design if this is easier to understand. 

Thanks in advance. 

Franco
0 Kudos
0 Replies