Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

State Machine file

Spurthy
Novice

Is there a way to add priority to the transitions drawn in state machine file editor in Quartus Prime Standard/Pro? Say if a state1 has multiple transitions, I want to add priority to the transition condition to go to the next state. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Spurthy
Novice

Thank you for your replies. There are some cases where the state machine has to make transition from one state to another based on which condition comes first. I did find a way to work with multiple outgoing transitions, by negating the highest priority condition in the subsequent transitions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

That's not really how a state machine works.  State transitions are pure logic, either based solely on the state you are in (Moore state machine) or based on the state and input signals (Mealy state machine).  There is no priority.  If you want to qualify a certain transition, you could create a separate input signal for this that would cause this transition to happen when the new signal is active.

Side note: state machine files are not very flexible for state machine creation.  You may want to edit the output HDL instead of using the graphical tool.

TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Hi there, State Machine File is an ASCII text file (with the extension .smf) that was originally created for use with Altera's A PLUS and SAM PLUS software packages, which are now obsolete. 

It's recommended to edit your RTL files to change the priority.

sstrell
Honored Contributor III

@TingJiangT_Intel wrote:

Hi there, State Machine File is an ASCII text file (with the extension .smf) that was originally created for use with Altera's A PLUS and SAM PLUS software packages, which are now obsolete. 

It's recommended to edit your RTL files to change the priority.

The state machine editor in Quartus still creates .smf files that you then click a button to convert to HDL code, so those files are still useful if you want to create a state machine using the GUI.

0 Kudos
Spurthy
Novice

Thank you for your replies. There are some cases where the state machine has to make transition from one state to another based on which condition comes first. I did find a way to work with multiple outgoing transitions, by negating the highest priority condition in the subsequent transitions.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Glad to hear that, thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

I see, thanks for your clarification.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos