Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Stuck on the error: Verilog HDL Defparam Statement error at <location>: value for parameter "<name>" must be constant expression

AKhan88
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to support the synthesis of my system on both Vivado and Quartus. So far i've had tough luck with Quartus (probably due to my inexperience).

I have a package in which i have some functions which set up my local parameters in other RTL files. The functions look like:

function automatic int get_settings_loading_serialised_width( );   int settings_loading_serialised_width = `REG_STATUS_FLAG_WIDTH +   `REG_K_WIDTH +   `L_C_WIDTH +   `L_A_WIDTH +   get_u_width() +   `REG_ID_WIDTH +   `L_E_REG_QM_WIDTH +   15 +   `REG_N_WIDTH +   $clog2(41+1) +   $clog2(211) +   `REG_NU_WIDTH;   return settings_loading_serialised_width;   endfunction

There are some additions from the macros included within the package (eg: `REG_N_WIDTH )and some additions from the functions within the package (eg: get_u_width()). I then import this package within my top level module as localparam GET_SETTINGS: get_settings_loading_serialised_width( ) but i get the error: Verilog HDL Defparam Statement error at <location>:. Vivado does not have a problem with this.

P.S. I found that doing something like int a; a = `something; return a; works fine as compared to when int a = `something; return a;

Can anyone please help me with this?

Regards.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know the software edition(Standard/Pro) and version you are using. Could you provide the .qar file for investigation?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
AKhan88
Beginner

I am using Quartus Prime 18.1 (standard). I've found the problem. Apparently for Quartus, having a declaration and initialization on the same line (e.g int a = 10 -> Quartus treats this as a non-constant expression) is different from having a separate line for variable declaration and initalization (int a; a = 10; ->Quartus apparently likes this). This is very bizarre. I don't fully understand why this is the case.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I cannot reproduce the error in your previous reply. Using int in the verilog file caused a syntax error. Could you provide the qar file for investigation?

Capture.PNG

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
AKhan88
Beginner

It's against my company policy to do so. Apologies for that.

If you really want to recreate it. Try doing what i did in the question i asked above. That function is inside a package and is imported within a module. Try compiling it in Quartus that way.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I try to use int in the verilog HDL and the software issues a syntax error message. Could you provide a simple test case that can reproduce the error?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Do you have any updates?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos