Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16609 Discussions

The result of Clock divider's Waveform simulation doesn't work properly with top module

FrankOuO
Novice

Hello, everyone

I just wrote a very simple clock divider by 2,

and I want to add this module: clock_out.v to my top module named light.v

(from the tutorial: Using_the_SDRAM)

But if I running the Waveform simulation

It doesn't output a correct divided clock but an unknown signal after 2 clock,

I guess is not a very complex program to me but not always getting the right result.

I'm really confused right now.

here is my verilog source code and Waveform simulation in attachments.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @FrankOuO 

Sorry for the delay in response. Do you need further help regarding to this case? Do you able to solve the issue by yourself? 

I would recommend to write a testbench and simulate it using the Modelsim Intel FPGA Starter Edition instead of waveform simulation.

You may checkout the webpage below for an example. 

https://www.fpga4student.com/2017/08/verilog-code-for-clock-divider-on-fpga.html

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

RichardTanSY_Intel

I have yet to receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided but I believed that I have answered your question. 
With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

FrankOuO
Novice

Sorry for the late reply.

I've found out the reason why the output clock went wrongly.

I didn't assign a specific pin to the output clock so that their was no output signal.

With pin assignment, the waveform simulation and on-board test goes well.

Thank you! @RichardTanSY_Intel 

Best Regards,

Frank Lee

0 Kudos