Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15468 Discussions

TimeQuest Analyzer: "~DUPLICATE"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

tl;dr: What does the postfix "~DUPLICATE" means in TimeQuest and why is it added? 

I have some timing violations which I try to pin point via TimeQuest Analyzer. In the Path summaries of the problematic paths, I see a lot of i.e. "signalx", but also a lot of "signalx~DUPLICATE" (see also to real-life examples below). When I right click those nodes and view them in the RTL viewer (Locate Node -> Locate in RTL Viewer), they both "signalx" as "signalx~DUPLICATE" seem to refer to the same flipflop. In the RTL viewer I am also unable to locate the register "signalx~DUPLICATE". Does anybody know what this "~DUPLICATE" prefix means and why it is added to certain signals? 

Cheers, 

Wobbert 

From: soc_system_final:u0|custom_fifo_final:fifo_57|writepointer~DUPLICATE To: soc_system_final:u0|custom_fifo_final:fifo_57|readpointer~DUPLICATE  

or 

From: soc_system_final:u0|custom_fifo_final:fifo_57|writepointer~DUPLICATE To: soc_system_final:u0|custom_fifo_final:fifo_57|readpointer
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

~duplicate is where it has duplicated a register, probably with a high fan-out, probably because it thought it was going to affect timing. There is a synth setting where you can set the maximum fan-out of a register. If it goes over this, it will create a duplicate to handle the extra fan-out.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah, makes sense now. Thanks a lot!