Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Traffic Light State machine example counter clock

Kabanda
Beginner

Hi, I am fairly new to Quartus and Verilog having mainly a software background.

I was looking at the use of the state machine wizard in a YouTube Tutorial at

(259) How to create a State Machine with the Quartus State Machine Wizard - YouTube

The tutor showed how to use the State Machine wizard to implement a traffic light system.

The tutor quite rightly used a counter to signal different states depending on the counter value,  I am however baffled how the counter was made to count up as no mechanism/code was shown which actually incremented the counter! The system nevertheless worked because the generated Verilog seemed to somehow have inferred the existence of a clock from seemingly thin air. Can somebody please enlighten me if the if anything like State Machine compiler makes some assumptions based on components naming conventions e.g. 'counter*' or something like that?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

As noted at 4:52, there was an already-created top-level design with the clock and other logic.  The state machine was instantiated into that top-level file.

0 Kudos
Kabanda
Beginner

Ah yes thanks I noted that later on.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Sounds like the issue has been addressed. I'll now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts.

0 Kudos