Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Transceiver Link Debugging Using System Console

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,  

I've designed a new board with a stratix IV gx (180K) in which I use some transceiver at different speed and with different reference clock. 

Before testing my code, I would like to see if the transceiver are ok and work fine. 

For this reason I've been told that there is the transceiver toolkit from which I can test my board with a "standard design". 

I've downloaded the example from Altera web site following Quartus II manual (Chapter 13 in verifying section). 

This example has instantiated a XCVR - Custom Phy that I can configure, but seems to require a fixed clock and others.. (Moreover I cannot find it in Qsys in the component sides..) 

The problem is that on my board I've not a 100MHz feeding the link, but different clocks. 

Moreover I've 2 GXB that are fully used (4 tx and 4 rx each), whereas the others are half used (1 GX has only RX side, whereas the other has TX side). 

What can I do? 

What is the best way to proceed in order to perform the test on a real board? 

Thx in advice for any suggestions.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Darkwave. I've just been through this so I think I might be able to help. To get the Custom Phy, you have to edit the altera_components.ipx file in the ip/altera directory under your Quartus installation. Under altera_xcvr_custom_phy, change the COMPONENT_EDITABLE field to true. In 11.0, it's line 4333. I was able to insert transceiver instances that matched my clocks and it works fine. 

For each full duplex channel that you'd like to run the toolkit on simultaneously, you need about 6 different components. Three for the generator and three for the receiver. The Qsys project gets out of hand pretty quick but I wasn't brave enough to try the nested designs so I ended up with 2 channels at a time. 

For my board, I'm transmitting and receiving from a backplane so I made a loopback connector to test all of my paths. 

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much, I'll try to arrange the test.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok now with your modify, I can edit the block xcvr as I would like in order to meet my project. 

Although I still have a problem: I DO NOT SEE the component in the component list. 

From the file you told me I see that I shall find it under "Interface Protocols/Transceiver PHY" but under interface protocol I see only: 

- Ethernet 

- High Speed (SRIO) 

- Interlaken 

- PCI 

- SDI 

- Serial 

I do not see a lot of other component standing at that file.. 

What could it dipend from? Any clue? 

Thanks for suggestions
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just for sharing: 

I've solved. 

In order to see these components you've to: 

- enable Tallback on Quartus, 

- Open Qsys and set in tools options internal enable internal features (and debug message) 

- then rightclick on component list and set Show Hidden Components.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just curious but had you restarted Qsys after modifying that file? I didn't have those options set, had Hidden Components hidden and the Custom Phy still showed up. Not a big deal, just asking in case you'd like to keep them all hidden when using more basic components while keeping the Custom PHY on the list.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry for the late Skaneta. 

Yes I've restarted Qsys and also Quartus. 

Without the change you've made me do I was not able to change some parameter (the clock) also in the design example. 

But I can confirm that if I do not enable the things above I cannot see the Transceiver PHY in the listed components.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Custom PHY is not supported in QSys. It is also not officially supported for Stratix IV GX. Stratix IV GX support in QSys was deployed as part of the design example and transceiver toolkit but will not be made available otherwise. 

Custom PHY is officially supported for Stratix V and later families. It can be accessed via the "Megawizard Plug-in Manager".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If Custom Phy is not supported for Stratix IV, is there another recommended way to use the Transceiver Toolkit in current Quartus versions, either with Qsys or without? The Toolkit example readme says to modify the design in Qsys for use with our own systems but that doesn't seem to work unless the altera_components file is edited.  

Thank you for clarifying the use of the Custom Phy. I don't see it in my IP list, is it under a different name?
0 Kudos