Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16624 Discussions

Trouble hardcoding an initial value of flip-flop on power up.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I'm using a Max 10 FPGA. 

I'm having trouble instantiating a d flip flop initially set to '1'. 

From the altera.altera_primitives_components.all I am instantiating the following: 

component dff 

port ( 

D : in std_logic; -- Data Input 

CLK : in std_logic; -- 100 MHz clock 

CLRN : in std_logic; -- Clear Input 

PRN : in std_logic; -- Preset Input 

Q : out std_logic -- Output Data 

); 

end component; 

But there is no generic that let's me hardcore a '1' there? 

I want to shift in 0's when the power is recycled (by tying the pin to ground) and 

so I need the initial value of the register to power up to '1'. 

Thank you for your help. 

Bryan Kerr 

Electronics Engineer
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why are you using the primitives? why not infer the register, because then you can apply the initial value yourself: 

signal q : std_logic := '1'; -- initial value .... process(clk) begin if clrn = '0' then q <= '0'; elsif prn = '0' then q <= '1' elsif rising_edge(clk) then q <= d; end if; end process;  

If a register has async clear, it often uses this as the power on value if none is specified. 

If you have to use the primitives, I think you can assign the power on value in the project assignments. You will need to compile the project to get the register path from the node finder.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Consider that simultaneous asynchronous reset and preset isn't supported by MAX10 logic elements. It has to be emulated by a combination of DFF and combinational logic, including latches. 

The dffeas primitive component and the ff wysiwyg component have a power_up generic, by the way.
0 Kudos