Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

UART

LEDN
Beginner

HELLO

How can i assign in "Pin Planner" the pins GPIO[0] = Tx, GPIO[1]= Rx , and GND on DE10-LITE

I wan to send data over UART.

my code similar like this

module UART_RX
#(parameter CLKS_PER_BIT = 217)
(
input CLOCK_50,
input i_RX_Serial,
output o_RX_DV,
output [7:0] o_RX_Byte
);

module UART_TX
#(parameter CLKS_PER_BIT = 217)
(
input [1:0] KEY,
input CLOCK_50,
input i_TX_DV,
input [7:0] i_TX_Byte,
output reg o_TX_Active,
output reg o_TX_Serial,
output reg o_TX_Done
);

where can i change Pin Planner in my software? ( GPIO[0] where can i set in UART_TX?, is it input or output? Same as RX. ). Im a new uart i try to understand uart.

Thanks.

@verilog 
@fpga 
@de10-lite 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Have you downloaded the manuals, tools, and examples CD from TerAsic?

Ref: https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=234&No=1021#contents

Look under Resources.

The SystemBuilder application can generate a .qsf file definition to include with Quartus that defines all the chip I/O assignments.

On the CD image, under Demonstrations, you might want to look at the Golden_Top example files to get you started.

0 Kudos
LEDN
Beginner

you mean set the wire to the board. i already know that. my question is on the software Quartus not on the board. i want to know how you write code to connect board to Putty by using my function as above by connect  the pins GPIO[0] = Tx, GPIO[1]= Rx.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Well, I don't  understand what your question is then.

In your original post above, you asked about assigning pins in Quartus using the Pin Planner. I responded to that. TerASIC has a tool (the SystemBuilder) to facilitate defining the device pins to Quartus.

In your followup I am not sure what you are asking. You say your question "is on the software Quartus not on the board". That is what I answered.

Physically, the DE10-Lite has no RS232 serial connector nor does it have any embedded 3.3V-LVTTL-to-RS232 converter device.
So you will need to attach a physical LVTTL-to-RS232 or LVTTL-to-USB-serial converter board/cable to communicate to a PC via serial.

Good luck. I am done here.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Based on this DE10-Lite User Manual (page 30), 

GPIO_[0] is at PIN_V10

GPIO_[1] is at PIN_W10

If you want to set GPIO[0] = Tx, then signal o_TX_Serial has to be assigned to PIN_V10 and Tx will be output.

If you want to set GPIO[1] = Rx, then signal i_RX_Serial has to be assigned to PIN_W10 and Rx will be input.

Best regards,
Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Any further update or concern?

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com', view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos
LEDN
Beginner
0 Kudos