Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

USB Blaster II Active Serial Programming Issues

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

We have recently upgraded our programming cables from the USB Blaster to the USB Blaster II. We have installed the drivers without issue and are running Quartus Prime 16.0. JTAG programming is successful, and verification is successful too, but not after first having to step the frequency from 500kHz all the way back up to 24MHz. However, when we try and program through the Active Serial mode, the quartus programmer gives the error message "Active Serial programming not supported with currently selected hardware". After reviewing the documentation, it appears the Blaster II should be able to support this.  

Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how to fix this issue? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It should be supported according to USB Blaster II manual. May be a Quartus bug. 

I wonder why you are still using AS programming mode although AS flash can be much easier programmed though indirect JTAG programming method, without a dedicated connector?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It should be supported according to USB Blaster II manual. May be a Quartus bug. 

I wonder why you are still using AS programming mode although AS flash can be much easier programmed though indirect JTAG programming method, without a dedicated connector? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi FvM, 

What configuration mode do you recommend for user? Acutually, we are also using AS mode in our system. For it's simple and low cost.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

We have recently upgraded our programming cables from the USB Blaster to the USB Blaster II. We have installed the drivers without issue and are running Quartus Prime 16.0. JTAG programming is successful, and verification is successful too, but not after first having to step the frequency from 500kHz all the way back up to 24MHz. However, when we try and program through the Active Serial mode, the quartus programmer gives the error message "Active Serial programming not supported with currently selected hardware". After reviewing the documentation, it appears the Blaster II should be able to support this.  

Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how to fix this issue? 

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Any update for this thread? I have same problem with Quartus v13 sp1, USB-Blaster II and Active Serial mode. 

Thanks, 

ATS_
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately I can't check because I have no original USB Blaster II but a compatible device from Devboards.de, which supports only JTAG mode by specification. https://www.devboards.de/en/home/products/product-details/article/db-ubii/ 

I must confess that I stopped incorporating AS interface in any FPGA system since the indirect JTAG programming method was published by Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So the problem was old version of programmer software which is obviously not working with USB Blaster II, I did use Quartus v.17 programmer and all went well. Thanks for help everyone!

0 Kudos