Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

USB Blaster II will program but not verify, but USB Blaster will....

I have both the USB Blaster and USB Blaster II. We've been using the Blaster II due to the faster programming speeds. But for some reason I cannot get multiple different and similar boards to program/verify with the USB Blaster II anymore. I've changed the clock speeds using the jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M command however it doesn't work. I've tried the following clock speeds 500k, 1M, 6M and 16M. 

I can program and it will work. "Programmer Operation was Successful" 

However, when I program/verify, I get "Verification Failed for Device number 1" 

Any thoughts? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

What device are you using? Some CPLD can disable TDO which will prevent you verifying it. 

Cheers, 

Alex
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

We're using a Stratix III EP3SL1501152C2N and the EPCS64SI16N to program over active serial. We're also using a Stratix V 5SGSMD5K3F40C3N and the EPCQ256SI16N to program over active serial. Neither will program/verify with the USB Blaster II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Another couple of interesting points (or not...) is that after the device is programmed with the USB Blaster, I can switch to the USB Blaster II and perform a verify and it verifies successfully. I can also perform the "Examine" function with the USB Blaster II and it reads back the correct check sum. Finally I can Program and Verify (as long as it is the same file/checksum) and it works successfully. As soon as a new file with a different checksum is loaded, the Program / Verify function does not work on the USB Blaster II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Another update:  

I've used the following to program: 

Quartus 14.1 programmer (Licensed Version) 

Quartus 14.1 stand-alone programmer 

Quartus Prime 16.1 Stand Alone programmer 

All have behaved the same and failed to verify. 

Also tried to program from my co-workers PC and it failed to program / verify as well.  

Wondering if this a Windows 10 issue?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

We're using a Stratix III EP3SL1501152C2N and the EPCS64SI16N to program over active serial. 

--- Quote End ---  

Your latest findings in post# 4 suggest a software problem, without this observations I had guessed about a signal quality problem. AS programming interface is quite sensitive to ringing DCLK, a faster clock driver in USB Blaster II might cause it.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

After speaking with Altera, I had to do a full erase on the configuration chips, with the TCK set to 6M. After confirming that the IC was erased, I was able to program/verify with two different PCB's using the USB Blaster II. I don't have an explanation as to why the config chips got corrupted or why the USB Blaster would work and not the USB Blaster II. But for now I am able to once again use the USB Blaster II.