Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16609 Discussions

University license for OpenCL?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm trying to follow the introduction to OpenCL videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pukzi14mly) but I'm currently stuck when trying to compile OpenCL for my board: 

aoc device/vector_add.cl -o bin/vector_add.aocx --report aoc: Selected default target board s5_ref /home/renagen/opt/intelFPGA/16.1/opencl_example_vector_soc/vector_add/device/vector_add.cl:23:48: warning: declaring kernel argument with no 'restrict' may lead to low kernel performance __kernel void vector_add(__global const float *x, ^ /home/renagen/opt/intelFPGA/16.1/opencl_example_vector_soc/vector_add/device/vector_add.cl:24:48: warning: declaring kernel argument with no 'restrict' may lead to low kernel performance __global const float *y, ^ 2 warnings generated. Could not acquire a valid license for the Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM). Error: Verilog generator FAILED. Refer to vector_add/vector_add.log for details. 

The LM_LICENSE_FILE is pointing to my license file which contains: 

# Altera SDK for OpenCL (University), 1 Seat(s)# - Maintenance Expiration of 2018.01 

Have you ever experienced such kind of error? 

Does anyone know if the University license is compatible for such use? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, but the only times I have seen this issue is when either my environment setting was wrong, the license itself was wrong, or if I had placed the file in the wrong location...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback. A simple cat $LM_LICENSE_FILE tells me that it's actually correctly set. 

It must come from the license itself. Has anyone here already tried with a University license ? :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you running on Linux? The network interface needs to be named eth0. If you have a reasonably new Linux distro it is probably named something like enp0 (check by e.g. typing "ip link show" in a terminal), but you can create a virtual network interface with the name eth0 with the MAC (also called NIC) adress that is specified in your license file: 

sudo ip tuntap add dev eth0 mode tap sudo ip link set dev eth0 address <your mac address>
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Great, it works now! 

Yes, I am running archlinux (I should have read the dedicated wiki page there, it was also explained). 

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos