Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Using system verilog 2009 $error() feature with Prime Lite

07dshaffer
Beginner

When I attempt to compile the following snippet of code with Quartus 20.1.1 Lite I get an error that it does not recognize the $error() function added in System Verilog 2009. Does the lite version of Quartus Prime support System Verilog 2009?  I don't see the option in my project settings to specify which version of System Verilog to use (see attached screenshot). Intel documentation states that Quartus 20.1 works with 2005, 2009, and 2012, but StackOverflow states that this is only the case with the Prime Pro versions.

Can anyone confirm that Quartus Prime Lite does support System Verilog 2009 for me?

generate
	if(8 % 3 != 0) begin
		$error("8 is not evenly divisible by 3");
	end
endgenerate
Error (10170): Verilog HDL syntax error at adc_data_buffer.sv(17) near text: "$error";  expecting "end". Check for and fix any syntax errors that appear immediately before or at the specified keyword. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database contains many articles with specific details on how to resolve this error. Visit the Knowledge Database at https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/search.html and search for this specific error message number.
Error (10112): Ignored design unit "adc_data_buffer" at adc_data_buffer.sv(2) due to previous errors

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

That's right, Quartus Prime Lite does not support SystemVerilog-2009, only the Pro version does at the moment.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
07dshaffer
Beginner

Thank you for the clarification. It looks like Quartus Prime Pro has supported System Verilog 2009 since at least version 17.0 . When you say "at the moment", do you know if there is a roadmap that you can share regarding when support for SV 2009 may be targeted for Quartus Prime Lite?

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

I've asked engineering about this, I'll update you on what they come back with.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Just to let you know that our engineering team are now focusing on feature enhancement/bug fixing on the Pro edition. For Lite edition, they will put this as lower priority. We are sorry to inform this.

Best regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
07dshaffer
Beginner

I am sorry to hear it, but thank you for the response. I'll look into other options.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

With that, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

PS: If you find any comment from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos