Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

VHDL Question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

-

[INDENT]I'm trying to create a square wave and I'm converting code from verilog and im getting the below error. Any help would be great thanks

Error (10327): VHDL error at SquareWave.vhd(36): can't determine definition of operator ""-"" -- found 0 possible definitions

[CODE]

library IEEE;

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

ENTITY SquareWave IS

PORT (

clk : IN std_logic;

rst_n : IN std_logic; 

sq_wave : OUT std_logic

); 

END SquareWave;

ARCHITECTURE BEHAVORIAL OF SquareWave IS

-- Input clock is 400Hz

signal CLOCK_FREQUENCY : Time := 2500000 ns;

signal sq_wave_reg : std_logic := '0';

begin

sq_wave <= sq_wave_reg;

process (clk)

-- Counter for toggling of clock

variable counter : integer;

begin

if (rst_n /= rst_n) then

counter := 8;

sq_wave_reg <= '1';

else 

-- If counter is zero, toggle sq_wave_reg 

if (counter = 8) then

sq_wave_reg <= sq_wave_reg;

-- Generate 1Hz Frequency

counter := CLOCK_FREQUENCY/2 - 1; 

-- Else count down

else 

counter <= counter - 1; 

end if;

end if;

end process;

END BEHAVORIAL;

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

counter is a variable, so you should have := instead of <= like you did just above.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm afraid your code is completely broken and would not work in any language. A VHDL process is not the same as a verilog always@. You need to wait on the clk. sq_wave_reg is not a register.  

When do you expect "if (rst_n /= rst_n) then" to be true? You probably meant "if rst_n = '0' then" 

You never change sq_wave_reg. You probably mean "sq_wave_reg <= not sq_wave_reg;" 

Is this supposed to be synthesizable? Your comments say you want a 1 Hz wave from a 400 Hz clock. That means you should toggle every 200 clock cycles. Your CLOCK_FREQUENCY is meaningless.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is a sawtooth wave I found, i'm trying to get a 400Hz square wave, it compiles, any help will be appreciated. Thanks 

library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; entity SquareWave is port (clk : in std_logic; wave_out : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); reset :in std_logic ); end SquareWave; architecture Behavioral of SquareWave is signal count : integer := 0; begin process(clk,reset) begin if(reset = '1') then count <= 0; elsif(rising_edge(clk)) then if(count = 10000000000) then count <= 0; else count <= count + 1; end if; end if; end process; wave_out <= conv_std_logic_vector(count,8); end Behavioral;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check your warnings. You have "count" (a 32-bit integer) going to ten billion. This is not a sensible way to make sawtooth wave in any event.  

You seem to want to do this without even a basic understanding of VHDL. Find a good tutorial on VHDL and learn it. Then making a square wave will be trivial. I'm afraid my favorite VHDL books are all out of print, but there are good ones out there.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

search for books on this forum then you'll find recommendations

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

chjones2008, sorry if my comments came across as a bit terse. The intent was to be helpful. It's been a while, but I had a terrible time learning VHDL at first. The key for me, coming from C/C++, was understanding that VHDL is creating hardware and to think in terms of flip-flops and combinational logic. The two books that helped: 

"HDL Chip Design" by Douglas J Smith 

"Essential VHDL RTL Synthesis Done Right" by Sundar Rajan 

Many VHDL books are voluminous tomes on the language. These are Kernighan&Ritche like and help incrementally learn the language and show what logic a given bit of code with synthesize.
0 Kudos