Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

VHDL Question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

-

[INDENT]I'm trying to create a square wave and I'm converting code from verilog and im getting the below error. Any help would be great thanks

Error (10327): VHDL error at SquareWave.vhd(36): can't determine definition of operator ""-"" -- found 0 possible definitions

[CODE]

library IEEE;

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

ENTITY SquareWave IS

PORT (

clk : IN std_logic;

rst_n : IN std_logic; 

sq_wave : OUT std_logic

); 

END SquareWave;

ARCHITECTURE BEHAVORIAL OF SquareWave IS

-- Input clock is 400Hz

signal CLOCK_FREQUENCY : Time := 2500000 ns;

signal sq_wave_reg : std_logic := '0';

begin

sq_wave <= sq_wave_reg;

process (clk)

-- Counter for toggling of clock

variable counter : integer;

begin

if (rst_n /= rst_n) then

counter := 8;

sq_wave_reg <= '1';

else 

-- If counter is zero, toggle sq_wave_reg 

if (counter = 8) then

sq_wave_reg <= sq_wave_reg;

-- Generate 1Hz Frequency

counter := CLOCK_FREQUENCY/2 - 1; 

-- Else count down

else 

counter <= counter - 1; 

end if;

end if;

end process;

END BEHAVORIAL;

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

counter is a variable, so you should have := instead of <= like you did just above.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm afraid your code is completely broken and would not work in any language. A VHDL process is not the same as a verilog always@. You need to wait on the clk. sq_wave_reg is not a register.  

When do you expect "if (rst_n /= rst_n) then" to be true? You probably meant "if rst_n = '0' then" 

You never change sq_wave_reg. You probably mean "sq_wave_reg <= not sq_wave_reg;" 

Is this supposed to be synthesizable? Your comments say you want a 1 Hz wave from a 400 Hz clock. That means you should toggle every 200 clock cycles. Your CLOCK_FREQUENCY is meaningless.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is a sawtooth wave I found, i'm trying to get a 400Hz square wave, it compiles, any help will be appreciated. Thanks 

library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; entity SquareWave is port (clk : in std_logic; wave_out : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); reset :in std_logic ); end SquareWave; architecture Behavioral of SquareWave is signal count : integer := 0; begin process(clk,reset) begin if(reset = '1') then count <= 0; elsif(rising_edge(clk)) then if(count = 10000000000) then count <= 0; else count <= count + 1; end if; end if; end process; wave_out <= conv_std_logic_vector(count,8); end Behavioral;
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check your warnings. You have "count" (a 32-bit integer) going to ten billion. This is not a sensible way to make sawtooth wave in any event.  

You seem to want to do this without even a basic understanding of VHDL. Find a good tutorial on VHDL and learn it. Then making a square wave will be trivial. I'm afraid my favorite VHDL books are all out of print, but there are good ones out there.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

search for books on this forum then you'll find recommendations

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

chjones2008, sorry if my comments came across as a bit terse. The intent was to be helpful. It's been a while, but I had a terrible time learning VHDL at first. The key for me, coming from C/C++, was understanding that VHDL is creating hardware and to think in terms of flip-flops and combinational logic. The two books that helped: 

"HDL Chip Design" by Douglas J Smith 

"Essential VHDL RTL Synthesis Done Right" by Sundar Rajan 

Many VHDL books are voluminous tomes on the language. These are Kernighan&Ritche like and help incrementally learn the language and show what logic a given bit of code with synthesize.