Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Way to switch codes by the compilers

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, guys. 

I am in the VHDL, and I am using the Quartus with the ModelSim. 

I have written a clocker for the simulations; 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; entity clocker is port ( clock: out std_logic ); end; architecture clocker of clocker is constant clock_period: time := 1 ps; begin process begin clock <= '0'; wait for clock_period; clock <= '1'; wait for clock_period; end process; end;  

and I have used the "generate"s and switch by one constant value; 

-- DO NOT FORGET to toggle when switched to the other compiler. constant simulating: boolean := true; ... g0: if not simulating generate clock <= CLOCK_125_p; end generate; g1: if simulating generate c0: clocker port map(clock); end generate;  

But I began to think gradually that I want to switch codes by automatically. 

For example, in the C/C++, below snippet (maybe) has the ability. 

#ifdef __GNUC__# ifndef __clang__ // codes for the gcc...# else // codes for the clang...# endif# endif 

Finally, I have written the snippet to switch that. 

-- synthesis read_comments_as_HDL on -- constant simulating: boolean := false; -- synthesis read_comments_as_HDL off -- synthesis translate_off constant simulating: boolean := true; -- synthesis translate_on  

It has works on the quartus_map(Quartus), and the vcom(ModelSim), but I think it is not clever way. 

Question: How should I write? Where is a good way? 

Environment Info: 

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 

Quartus Prime Version 16.0.2 Build 222 07/20/2016 SJ Lite Edition 

ModelSim ALTERA STARTER EDITION 10.4d Revision: 2015.12 

Cyclone V GX Starter Kit (5CGXFC5C6F27C7)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Like I told you in your previous post - the synthesis directives are not part of the VHDL language and only have meaning to synthesis tools, hence why they do nothing and are ignored by modelsim, and all other simulators. VHDL has no pre-processor to do what you're trying to do. 

The usual method is to just have the clock is just to have it as an input to the DUT, and then generate the clock in the testbench. So in your case, why cant you just connect your CLOCK_125_P to a signal in your testbench? 

PS. I would not recommend reconnecting a clock inside a module, as you can run into delta cycle problems in simulation. Try simulating this code - and see if you see anything odd: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity mad_clock is end entity mad_clock; architecture test of mad_clock is signal clock : std_logic := '1'; signal clock2 : std_logic; signal count : unsigned(7 downto 0) := x"00"; signal count2 : unsigned(7 downto 0); begin process(clock) begin if rising_edge(clock) then count <= count + 1; end if; end process; clock2 <= clock; process(clock2) begin if rising_edge(clock2) then count2 <= count; end if; end process; end architecture test;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you reply. 

> Like I told you in your previous post... 

Umm, I will have not understood that exactly... 

> The usual method is... 

I had misunderstood that it would not recommend to "call" the "main" module by the other modules, and it is the top-level entity. 

I can connect in the testbench. Why have not I done that... 

> PS... 

I have not known the delta cycle problems. 

I will watch out, thank you teach me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your replies still imply you think this is software.. it is not, it is hardware. 

Modules/entities are not called, they are instantiated, like placing a chip in a circuit.
0 Kudos