Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16659 Discussions

What is mean of timing model in EDA Gate Level Simulation?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I use ModelSim-Altera to do simulation, I run modelsim from Quartus II using Tool-> Run EDA Simulation Tool -> EDA Gate Level Simulation. Then there are three options: 

Slow-81.2V 85 Model 

Slow-81.2V 0 Model 

Fast-M 1.2V 0 Model 

I just wonder what is difference between them and how can I decide which one I should use? 

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When I use ModelSim-Altera to do simulation, I run modelsim from Quartus II using Tool-> Run EDA Simulation Tool -> EDA Gate Level Simulation. Then there are three options: 

Slow-81.2V 85 Model 

Slow-81.2V 0 Model 

Fast-M 1.2V 0 Model 

I just wonder what is difference between them and how can I decide which one I should use? 

--- Quote End ---  

All three. 

Your systems should be designed to be robust over all process, voltage, and temperature variation (also known as PVT).  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/process_corners 

These three timing models are different PVT setups. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks very much, Dave! I will read the link you give. And do you know can we estimate the power consumption of our design in Quartus II after completed compilation? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

And do you know can we estimate the power consumption of our design in Quartus II after completed compilation? 

--- Quote End ---  

You write a testbench that enables the design as you intend to use it, i.e., with realistic traffic on its I/Os, and realistic processing using internal logic. 

You run this testbench in Modelsim and create a Value Change Dump (.vcd) file. Then use Altera's power analysis tool to get a power estimate (I think that's right, its been a while since I've done it). 

Depending on the FPGA you are using, you need a machine with a huge amount of memory. For the Stratix II design I was working with, I ended up created designs with 5%, 10%, 20%, 30% of the logic I planned on using in the final design, and then extrapolated to a full FPGA. 

For a worst-case power analysis, you can create a Qsys system with blocks of registers that you can enable to toggle their outputs. You can create a block size that is say 5% of a device, and then enable one block for a 5% power load, two blocks for 10%, etc. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos