Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15470 Discussions

When using quartus_ipgenerate I get an error stating "Argument list too long" on Linux.

JHaye4
New Contributor I

In the directory where my chiptop.qpf file is I'm trying to use this command specifically: "quartus_ipgenerate chiptop --generate_project_ip_files --synthesis=vhdl --clear_ip_generation_dirs".

However when I do this I get two error messages:

/opt/altera/18.0/quartus/bin/quartus_ipgenerate: line 63: /opt/altera/18.0/quartus/bin/quartus_ipgenerate: Argument list too long

/opt/altera/18.0/quartus/bin/quartus_ipgenerate: line 63: /opt/altera/18.0/quartus/bin/quartus_ipgenerate: Success

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be very helpful, thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/archives/qts-qpp-5v1..., 9.19.12, pg 603. Try again using quartus_ipgenerate --generate_project_ip_files --synthesis=vhdl --clear_ip_generation_dirs chiptop
JHaye4
New Contributor I

Thank you for the suggestion GNg, unfortunately that gives the same results as the order in my initial question.

GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee
I didnt see any error when tested on a design. ***************************** Info: Command: quartus_ipgenerate --generate_project_ip_files --synthesis=vhdl --clear_ip_generation_dirs top Info: Using INI file /home/gbng/quartus.ini Info: Found 4 IP file(s) in the project. Info: IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/mult_w8.ip was found in the project. Info: IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/multi_adder_test.ip was found in the project. Info: IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/ip/qsys_top/qsys_top_clock_in_0.ip was found in the project. Info: IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/ip/qsys_top/qsys_top_reset_in_0.ip was found in the project. Info: Finished generating IP file(s) in the project. Info: Previously generated synthesis files were detected in the Platform Designer IP file generation directory (/data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/mult_w8). Info: Skipped generation of synthesis files for the Platform Designer IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/mult_w8.ip based on the current regeneration policy setting (Tools/Options/IP Settings). Info: Previously generated synthesis files were detected in the Platform Designer IP file generation directory (/data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/multi_adder_test). Info: Skipped generation of synthesis files for the Platform Designer IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/multi_adder_test.ip based on the current regeneration policy setting (Tools/Options/IP Settings). Info: Previously generated synthesis files were detected in the Platform Designer IP file generation directory (/data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/ip/qsys_top/qsys_top_clock_in_0). Info: Skipped generation of synthesis files for the Platform Designer IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/ip/qsys_top/qsys_top_clock_in_0.ip based on the current regeneration policy setting (Tools/Options/IP Settings). Info: Previously generated synthesis files were detected in the Platform Designer IP file generation directory (/data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/ip/qsys_top/qsys_top_reset_in_0). Info: Skipped generation of synthesis files for the Platform Designer IP file /data/gbng/test_ipgenerate/test_S10/ip/qsys_top/qsys_top_reset_in_0.ip based on the current regeneration policy setting (Tools/Options/IP Settings). Info: Quartus Prime IP Generation Tool was successful. 0 errors, 3 warnings Info: Peak virtual memory: 947 megabytes Info: Processing ended: Tue Apr 9 19:29:16 2019 Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:12 *********************************** Could you attach the full generation message?
JHaye4
New Contributor I

When I run the command with the wording order as you suggested it takes approximately 3 minutes and the only info that is printed to the terminal are the two lines in my original question, nothing else.

GuaBin_N_Intel
Employee
Please check if Quartus environment variables in your PC that match the Pro version installation. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/support/kdb/downloads/rd01292013_416/s...