Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Why AND gate not working?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm new to FPGA and using Altera Cyclone 3 Starter Board. I'm trying to turn on Led by using the AND gate with two buttons. Weird things happen, the AND gate acted like the OR gate. The led turned on when I push either two button. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10868&stc=1  

compiling messages: 

Warning (20028): Parallel compilation is not licensed and has been disabled 

Warning (292013): Feature LogicLock is only available with a valid subscription license. You can purchase a software subscription to gain full access to this feature. 

Warning (15714): Some pins have incomplete I/O assignments. Refer to the I/O Assignment Warnings report for details 

Critical Warning (332012): Synopsys Design Constraints File file not found: 'led.sdc'. A Synopsys Design Constraints File is required by the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer to get proper timing constraints. Without it, the Compiler will not properly optimize the design. 

Warning (332068): No clocks defined in design. 

Critical Warning (332012): Synopsys Design Constraints File file not found: 'led.sdc'. A Synopsys Design Constraints File is required by the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer to get proper timing constraints. Without it, the Compiler will not properly optimize the design. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the logic state of the keys when you are not pressing them? 

What logic value do you need to drive to the LED to turn it on? 

I am guessing the keys are logic 1 when they are not pressed, and you need to supply logic 0 to turn on the LED. So when you press the key, the AND gate output becomes false and the LED turns on.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi cookie, 

You can try signaltap to check on the logic value when pressing or not pressing the button.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What is the logic state of the keys when you are not pressing them? 

--- Quote End ---  

Wow! Thanks for solving my problem! I was trying to make an SR NOR latch, and couldn't figure out why both LEDs defaulted to off with no keys pressed. It all makes sense now. I created an account here for the sole purpose of saying thank you.
0 Kudos