Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Why does Quartus Prime Pro Edition not support all devices?

BA2
Beginner

I understand that not all devices are supported in Quartus Prime Pro. Why are they not all supported? Shouldn't the best be able to do it all? It would be nice to only need one instance of Quartus on my computer to cover all of the devices that I need so I would like to understand the rational behind that. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

A little history:

Altera had the web (free) and subscription (licensed) editions before they moved to Intel.  These became the Lite and Standard editions with Intel.

With Arria 10, the Pro edition was introduced that included additional features specific to Arria 10.  Stratix 10, Cyclone 10GX, and Agilex are considered high-end families and became supported in Pro only.  To this day, Arria 10 is the only family that works in Standard and Pro.

So Pro is meant for high-end devices, Standard/Lite are for the rest.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

A little history:

Altera had the web (free) and subscription (licensed) editions before they moved to Intel.  These became the Lite and Standard editions with Intel.

With Arria 10, the Pro edition was introduced that included additional features specific to Arria 10.  Stratix 10, Cyclone 10GX, and Agilex are considered high-end families and became supported in Pro only.  To this day, Arria 10 is the only family that works in Standard and Pro.

So Pro is meant for high-end devices, Standard/Lite are for the rest.

Kenny_Tan

You are right, this was also due to the architecture change in S10 and above. We will need a more powerful Synthesis/fitter engine/algorithm to cater those compilations.