Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15557 Discussions

Why does vsim occasionally crash with ERROR CODE 4 when using Quartus Prime Lite (no license required)? How can I solve this problem?

fpga
Beginner
  • PROBLEM:
    • vsim occasionally crashes with error code 4.
  • TRANSCRIPT:
    • FATAL ERROR: Unable to read lock file necessary for use of uncounted nodelocked license. Exiting.
  • SOFTWARE VERSION:
    • ModelSim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition 10.5b.
    • Quartus-lite-18.0.0.614-linux.tar
  • ENVIRONMENT:
    • Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Server
    • x86_64 Architecture
    • Installed in /opt/intelFPGA_Lite/18.0/modelsim_ase
  • From the Quartus Install Guide:

"Intel offers the entry-level Intel Quartus Prime Lite Edition and ModelSim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition software. This software supports selected devices, provides limited feature support, and does not require license files."

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor II

I am not suere about the installer of Quartus Lite but the installers of the Standard and Pro versions come with both Modelsim Free and Paid; you have to specifically install the Free version. Furthermore, Modelsim Free Edition has a line limit of 10,000; maybe you are running into that limit?

AndyN
New Contributor I

By any chance, is it failing when you re-run it after a successful run? I've had issues with some Modelsim sub-processes not getting properly terminating when running on Linux (which then gives weird behavior when you then re-run).

Andy

fpga
Beginner

Thanks for your responses,@HRZ​ @AndyN​ .

• The Modelsim install is the Intel FPGA Starter Edition v10.5b, and the projects are well less than the 10k line limit.
  • It appears to fail at random, with exit code 4.
  • Per the Modelsim user manual, exit code 4 is a license issue.
  • This is consistent with the fatal error that shows up in the transcript.
Sushmita
Beginner

Hi @fpga​ 

Even i am facing same issue. Did you find the solution for the above problem? If yes, please share the reason/ solution.

Thanks

fpga
Beginner

HI. Yes. I ended up requesting a license and it solved the problem.