- vsim occasionally crashes with error code 4.
- FATAL ERROR: Unable to read lock file necessary for use of uncounted nodelocked license. Exiting.
- SOFTWARE VERSION:
- ModelSim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition 10.5b.
- Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Server
- x86_64 Architecture
- Installed in /opt/intelFPGA_Lite/18.0/modelsim_ase
- From the Quartus Install Guide:
"Intel offers the entry-level Intel Quartus Prime Lite Edition and ModelSim - Intel FPGA Starter Edition software. This software supports selected devices, provides limited feature support, and does not require license files."
I am not suere about the installer of Quartus Lite but the installers of the Standard and Pro versions come with both Modelsim Free and Paid; you have to specifically install the Free version. Furthermore, Modelsim Free Edition has a line limit of 10,000; maybe you are running into that limit?
By any chance, is it failing when you re-run it after a successful run? I've had issues with some Modelsim sub-processes not getting properly terminating when running on Linux (which then gives weird behavior when you then re-run).
- The Modelsim install is the Intel FPGA Starter Edition v10.5b, and the projects are well less than the 10k line limit.
- It appears to fail at random, with exit code 4.
- Per the Modelsim user manual, exit code 4 is a license issue.
- This is consistent with the fatal error that shows up in the transcript.