Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15475 Discussions

aocl program and aocl diagnose commands fail

FCive
New Contributor I

Dear community,

I started to work with Intel OpenCL SDK and DE5-Net. I Installed the BSP support for DE5-Net provided by Terasic into the OpenCL directory of IntelFPGA software and I followed the instructions in the DE5-Net OpenCL guide. I have executed successfully the command "aocl install" and "aocl flash acl0 hello_world.aocx". I did a power cycle of the PC and it seems that the "acl" device is inside /proc/devices. You can find the output of "dmesg" command about the PCI driver and the output of "cat /proc/devices | grep acl" below:

dmesg

[   3.975583] FPGA manager framework

[   3.981245] fpga_manager fpga0: Altera CvP FPGA Manager @0000:4f:00.0 registered

[   3.981407] aclpci_drv: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.

[   3.981490] aclpci_drv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

[   3.981687] aclpci_init (692):

[   3.981688] ----------------------------

[   3.981688] aclpci_init (693):

[   3.981689] Driver version: 18.1.

[   3.981694] aclpci_init (714):

[   3.981694] pci_register_driver

[   3.981719] aclpci_init (720):

[   3.981719] success

cat /proc/devices | grep acl

239 acl

But when I run the command "aocl program acl0 hello_world.aocx" I got this output:

aocl program: Running program from /home/fciverch/intelFPGA/18.1/hld/board/terasic/de5net/linux64/libexec

Unable to open the device acl0.

aocl program: Program failed.

For "aocl diagnose" the output is the following:

Verified that the kernel mode driver is installed on the host machine.

Using board package from vendor: Terasic Corporation

Querying information for all supported devices that are installed on the host machine ...

Found no active device installed on the host machine.

Please make sure to:

1. Set the environment variable AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT to the correct board package.

2. Install the driver from the selected board package.

3. Properly install the device in the host machine.

4. Configure the device with a supported OpenCL design.

5. Reboot the machine if the PCI Express link failed.

DIAGNOSTIC_FAILED

There is no /dev/acl0 peripheral created and I tried to create it manually using the command "mknod /dev/acl0 c 239 0", but the problem persists.

Could you please give me some suggestions to fix the issue? Why the peripheral is inside the /proc/devices list but the /dev/acl0 is not created?

I use Quartus prime standard 18.1 and OpenCL SDK 18.1. The BSP for DE5-Net is the latest 18.0 with some changes to be compatible with 18.1.

The operative system is Ubuntu 16.04 equipped with Intel Xeon processor and the kernel is 4.15.0-38-generic.

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards,

Federico Civerchia

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FCive
New Contributor I

Finally I fix the problem. The kernel modules "altera_cvp" and "fpga_mgr" managed the PCIe instead of "aclpci_drv". Removing that modules fixed the issue.

Federico

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FCive
New Contributor I

Finally I fix the problem. The kernel modules "altera_cvp" and "fpga_mgr" managed the PCIe instead of "aclpci_drv". Removing that modules fixed the issue.

Federico