Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

command line utilities on OSX?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone attempted to run the command line utilities (jtagconfig, nios2-configure-sof, nios2-terminal, etc.) from an OSX command line? I'd like to program and flash my Cyclone firmware / Nios 2 software using my MacBook that was built on a Win7 development machine. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The short answer is that you can't- they're distributed as Linux binaries and thus won't run under Darwin. There is code for a buspirate to load .sof's over JTAG, which is a bit of a hassle but I did get it to work a while back. 

I run iverilog and GTKwave on my laptop (osx) so I can still work on and sim my code while I'm out and about, but I have to use my desktop to interface hardware still.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Install a virtual machine with the Quartus tools within it? One of the great things about USB based tools is that there's no hassle using them with VM's (compared to PCI or Parallel Port based tools of yesteryear).

0 Kudos