Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

generate clock after a specific number

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi! I started to learn VHDL,so be patient :) 

also my english is poor :cool: 

but I try to explain my problem: 

I try to emulate a code for generate (and delay it by a precise integer) the clock, but i can't get it. 

how can I do? 

so I have to generate and delay the clock, for example delay 100ps, with a fixed period from "generic (period: time: = 100ps);" 

CODE: 

entity test_out is 

generic (period: time :=100ps; 

halfperiod: time := 50ps); 

port ( rit: in integer range 0 to 255; --delay for start clock 

localCLK: inout std_logic  

) ; 

end test_out; 

the architecture does not exist because i I tried different solutions but many useless and maybe stupid :D
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you want to just delay a clock, or to enable its initialization after a time ? 

It's in simulation, or do you want to synthesize ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My project is similar to the PLL (phase locked loop), in fact I want to generate a signal to be send back to a hypothetical "phase frequency detector", then I would be initialized after a time (time that must change in relation to an "integer" value input entity) the clock signal, iterating continually until it various new "integer". 

it's for simulation :D 

edit: Now I'm using the operating system Ubuntu, as soon as I open windows place the architecture that I tried to make an hour ago. :D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

it's for simulation 

--- Quote End ---  

Why not just use the 'after' clause to the signal assignment ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my code is: 

entity test_out is generic (period: time :=100ps; halfperiod: time := 50ps); port ( rit: in integer range 0 to 255; --delay for start clock localCLK: inout std_logic ) ; end test_out; architecture beha of test_out is signal clock: std_logic; --used to recycle the process signal uscita: integer range 0 to 255:=0; begin clock<='0','1' after halfperiod; process(clock) begin if (clock='1')then clock<= '0' after halfperiod; else clock <='1' after halfperiod; end if; case (rit) is when 0 => uscita<=0; when 1 to 10 => uscita<=1 after 1ps; when 11 to 20 => uscita<=2 after 10ps; when 21 to 30 => uscita<=3 after 20ps; when 31 to 40 => uscita<=4 after 30ps; when 41 to 50 => uscita<=5 after 40ps; when 51 to 60 => uscita<=6 after 50ps; when 61 to 255 => uscita<=7 after 60ps; end case; case(uscita) is when 0 to 255=> localCLK <='1', '0' after halfperiod; end case; end process; end architecture; 

But with this code I can not emulate a clock signal with a duty cycle of 50% and also does not initialize after a time 

I'll try again, while some idea? :D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You're not incrementing uscita anywhere. 

Moreover, clock isn't being toogle'd. 

I'm unable to understand what exactly it does.
0 Kudos