Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15481 Discussions

large number of small work-groups vs small number of large work-groups

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I appreciate it if anyone can answer my question.  

I have a ND-range configuration, with 1 CU, and without SIMD (I mean a single PE in the single CU). Work-items access only to global memory (no local memory access).  

After some tests, I reach to this conclusion that for every CU, it is enough to have large number of work-items to have good performance, specifically, no matter that those work-items are organized in small number of large work-groups, or large number of small work-groups. In other words, there is only one pipeline in work-items level, and there is NO additional pipeline in work-group level. 

Is it right?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, every CU only has one pipeline, and every work-item, regardless of which work-group it belongs to, goes through that pipeline. With one CU, if you are not using SIMD or local memory, the size of your work-group will not affect performance.