Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15462 Discussions

midi (uart) input & midi parse (fpga newbee)

siglgut
Beginner

i am a newbe in fpga...

my project starts with a midi - input, its the first thing i have to make - in order to do and test things in the fpga, in order to learn

(by the way i bevore realized this project in max msp, then on uC C, but the midi-uart and routing - this basics, where done by scripts or functions, which where already there, so i know what i want, and now trying to achive it in a new and other way)

i know a midi input is basicly a optocoppler (isolation and levelshift to 3.3V)

the optocopplers output is then connectet to the fpga gpio pin (set as input)

in the fpga i now have to setup a uart, on the intel website are a few ips, but none for the cyclone10lp

in quartus i found 2: irD UART and RS232 UART - which one is the correct for this task?

when choosen the rs232, i got some settings to do in the ip:

avalon type: memory mapped, streaming ( i guess memory mapped?)

baudrate: 31250

prarity: none

start bit:1

data bit:8

-

if setuped correctly what is the output of the uart? (8bits? i gues it when i use memory mapped, i could somehow write into a memory, i guess the UART-ip takes some logic cells and save the 8 bits in it? which i then access outside the UARt-ip?)

--- the next thing i then need is to make a parser based on the 8 bits

best thing would be a example program that already uses a midinput, and do some stuff with it in it (for example a synthesizer, midimerger, midirouter, or anything else which uses midi inputs)

by the way the uart specs for midi are:

0mA=logical 1 (midi works with current swing, instead of rs232 voltage swing)

5mA=logical 0

31250 Baud +-1% 25Mhz 25 000 000/31250 = 800 Clocks per Cycle (to sample middle of bit)

2uS max Rise/Fall Time No Handshake No Parity

thx for any help

0 Kudos
0 Replies