Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

program file for single epcs16 used for programming 2 fpga in a chain

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

-Hi, 

I have 2 cyclone IV (epc4ce30f29) in a JTAG chain and also a maxv at the end of the chain. All components in this chain can be configured without any problem (2 fpgas with sof files and a cpld with POF file). 

I use a single EPCS16 for configuring 2 FPGAs as datasheet instructions (Multi Device AS Configuration: the first fpga as master that configured as AS and second as slave and configured as PS and EPCS16 is connected to the master) . I want to program the EPCS16 (that must be contained 2 files for both fpgas) through JTAG by USB Blaster. 

How can I prepare the file (in quartus) for programming EPCS16 (combining 2 configuration file and ...)??. I did't find any information. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have not had to do this, but I recall seeing something in the GUI ... 

1) In Quartus, select "File->Convert Programming Files" 

2) When creating a .pof for programming the EPCS device, then the GUI has an option for "Add SOF Page". 

Perhaps that is what you need to use? 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Dave, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I did your suggestion before, (2 pages of sof to creat a jic file) It seemed to program, but after turning off and then on the board, it did'nt seem to load the softwre to the fpgas. 

I expected to find some documents related, but I didn't find anything about this. 

Unfortunately we have 4-day holidays (till saturday) and I can't test it more now. (no access to my hardware and software untill saturday) 

Please, wait for me and do not forget me! 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It seemed to program, but after turning off and then on the board, it did'nt seem to load the softwre to the fpgas. 

--- Quote End ---  

Your statement is not clear. 

It sounds like you are saying that the FPGAs programmed ok, but their software did not load. An .sof is only the FPGA configuration, it does not include any software (other than any embedded in memory initialization files). 

I'm not sure how you would share an EPCS between two FPGAs to load software, given that you would have to arbitrate access to the common resource, i.e., the SPI interface to the EPCS flash. 

But perhaps your comments are just a reflection of being a non-English speaker ... 

Talk to you when you get back from holiday. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos