Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16652 Discussions

"gating" one process from another

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am brand new to Verilog. I need to produce a specific bit stream output. The bit time is 0.5us so I have an Always block that executes every 0.5us and creates this bit stream. That is working ok. The problem is that the bit stream is continuous, back to back output. I need to gate it at a low frequency like 10Hz. 

I tried creating another Always block that executes every 100ms and set/clears a flag that the Other Always block would read/clear. This does not work as variables cannot be operated on by separate Always blocks. 

I am sure there is a fundamental solution, I just don't know the fundamentals. ;-) 

Thanks 

Rich
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Assuming you're operating from a single clock source, you could implement all of this in a single always block. However, there's nothing wrong with splitting logic up across more than one. This often helps readability. 

You can gate the output from block 1 with the control signal you're generating in block 2. A combinatorial statement should do the trick. This could reside in 3rd always block. 

Perhaps: 

always @ (*) if (stream_active) // Control signal from always block 2, active every 100ms output_stream = stream_source; // Whilst active, drive the output signal with the stream else output_stream = 0; // Otherwise, turn it off 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos