Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14961 Discussions

set_max_delay and set_min_delay is no sense for project compile

lambert_yu
Beginner

Hi sir,

I face one problem, and I have no idea for the set_max_delay and set_min_delay constrains, the problem as follows:

I want to constrains the delay from the reg_q to the port_o, but I found there is no effect when I constrain the datapath, and the time report presents the delay is large the value that I set.

The timing report as follows:

the constrains as follows:

set_min_delay  -from spi_master_wrap_u|spi_tx_u|tx_sck_o|q -through spi_master_wrap_u|sck_o~0|combout -to m_spi_ck_o~output|i 0.200

set_max_delay  -from spi_master_wrap_u|spi_tx_u|tx_sck_o|q -through spi_master_wrap_u|sck_o~0|combout -to m_spi_ck_o~output|i 2.100

Is there any problem for the constarins or it's not correct to use these constrains. Would someone will help me?

Software:quartus II 13.1 

FPGA chip: Arria V AGXA7

Best regards,

Lambert

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

This might due to the value you set exceeds the limitation of the max/min delay value.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

lambert_yu
Beginner

Hi KhaiY

I am  so happy for your response, but would you help me to know how can I estimate or find the limitation for the max/min delay value?

Best regards,

Lambert

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

It depends on the location of the source and destination. If you set min/max delay and you see the delay in the Timing Analyzer exceeds the value that you set, the value in the Timing Analyzer is min/max for the same source/destination location.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

lambert_yu
Beginner

Hi KhaiY,

If so, I want to know, if the max/min value which I set is not satisfied by software, will it provide violation message? Now, it does not present this message in timing report, it's normal?

BR,

Lambert

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi Lambert,

You are correct. This will not reported as warning or error message.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best regards,

KhaiY