Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15552 Discussions

simulating PLL in Modelsim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have created a PLL megafunction in quartus II, and it created a vho file in Modelsim and even successfully opened up Modelsim from this environment. Here's the rub: I created a new project in Modelsim. I opened the vho file. I compiled all, which was successful. I created a new work library so that I can see the existing library, rtl_work ( I don't know any other way to open an existing library in Modelsim PE). I selected the compiled file and when I request "start simulation", I get a message that the Student version only supports 1 HDL. But I don't have any other Modelsim running. How do I successfully run Modelsim of one PLL? 

I am including the transcript if it may help you understand my problem. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was able to access the Work view. However that still does not solve the problem. Modelsim is saying that this project requires multiple HDL. I have the Student version which allows only one HDL. I am not sure what I may be doing wrong. I am attaching the Modelsim transcript: 

# -- Compiling architecture RTL of pll2v1 

# End time: 12:35:31 on Nov 19,2015, Elapsed time: 0:00:00 

# Errors: 0, Warnings: 0 

vsim work.pll2v1 

# vsim  

# Start time: 12:35:40 on Nov 19,2015 

# Loading std.standard 

# Loading std.textio(body) 

# Loading ieee.std_logic_1164(body) 

# Loading altera_lnsim.altera_lnsim_components 

# Loading work.pll2v1(rtl) 

# PE Student Edition supports only a single HDL 

# ** Error: (vsim-3039) C:/altera_lite/Workbench/Altera/pll2/pll2v1_sim/pll2v1.vho(303): Instantiation of 'altera_pll' failed. 

# Time: 0 ns Iteration: 0 Instance: /pll2v1 File: C:/altera_lite/Workbench/Altera/pll2/pll2v1_sim/pll2v1.vho 

# Error loading design 

Thanks for your help
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you try with Modelsim Altera Starter edition which is free.

THarr14
Beginner

I'm facing the same issue. Were you able to solve it?