Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16610 Discussions

sof2flash output different than quartus_cpf

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everybody,  

I try to convert my project sof file into an srec file to store it into a CFI memory. On my board, I have a PFL onto a Max device to boot the bitstream from CFI memory address 0x01F0_0000. 

1: memory file generation with quartus_cpf 

I use the "Convert Programming File" tool to create a "cof" file, which will help me to create a "pof" file to download into the memory.  

The "cof" file is describded below : 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII" standalone="yes"?><cof> <eprom_name>CFI_1GB</eprom_name> <output_filename>bitstream.pof</output_filename> <n_pages>1</n_pages> <width>1</width> <mode>0</mode> <sof_data> <start_address>01F10000</start_address> <user_name>Page_0</user_name> <page_flags>1</page_flags> <bit0> <sof_filename>bitstream.sof</sof_filename> </bit0> </sof_data> <version>5</version> <create_cvp_file>0</create_cvp_file> <options> <map_file>1</map_file> <option_start_address>1f00000</option_start_address> <dynamic_compression>0</dynamic_compression> </options> </cof> 

I create the pof file with the command : 

quartus_cpf -c bitstream.cof 

I download this "bitstream.pof" file into the memory using Quartus Programmer. 

Then, the FPGA boots fine at board power up ! 

2: memory file generation with sof2flash 

Let's say the FPGA is already running and a Nios2 is running on it. I can then use the nios2-flash-programmer to overwrite the flash contents. 

I create the srec file with the following commands : 

sof2flash --input=bitstream.sof --offset=0x1F10000 --output=bitstream.flash --pfl --programmingmode=PS --optionbit=0x1F00000 

It creates two files : bitstream.flash and bitstream.map.flash. 

I download these two files into the memory with the following command : 

nios2-flash-programmer --base=0x0 -g bitstream.map.flash bitstream.flash  

Then, the FPGA doesn't start and CONF_DONE is stuck at '0' at power up ! 

3: differences : 

I have dumped the memory for both configuration. There is only one difference located after the option area:  

(option area is the four first lines, the difference is in the fifth one) 

quartus_cpf configuration :S32501F00000101FE41FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD3 S32501F00020FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE9 S32501F00040FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC9 S32501F00060FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFA9 S32501F0008003FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF85  

sof2flash configuration :S32501F00000101FE41FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD3 S32501F00020FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE9 S32501F00040FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC9 S32501F00060FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFA9 S32501F00080FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF89  

I cannot explain this. Does anyone have a clue ? 

I'm using Quartus 12.1sp1. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've manage to create my srec file by using quartus_cpf with a cof file to create a pof (as in solution n°1 in my post). Then convert back the pof file into ihex also with quartus_cpf and then into an srec with nios2-elf-objcopy. 

quartus_cpf -c bitstream.pof bitstream.hexout mv bitstream.hexout bitstream.hex nios2-elf-objcopy -I ihex -O srec bitstream.hex bitstream.flash 

I have checked and the byte 0x03 is still there and every thing works fine.  

It's still a strange behavior and I'd like to know if this is a 12.1sp1 bug.
0 Kudos