Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

waveform simulation producing no output (xx) in Quartus II

TGuo0
Beginner

Hello. So I am trying to simulate a simple JK flip-flop, and for some reason, when I try to do so, Q and Qbar stay as XX. The simulation works if I remove the clock. I don't know why that would affect anything. Please help me. I'm just a poor college student trying to graduate.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vicky1
Employee
Hi Tina, Please help me by providing below details, 1. which quartus(edition & version) are you using? 2. have you come across any error while simulating including clock signal? 3. provide the simulation screenshot of the result without clock signal Thanks, Vikas
0 Kudos
TGuo0
Beginner

Hello!

1. I'm using Quartus II Web Edition 13.0sp1
  2. The screenshot above is what happens when I include clock signal
  3. The below is what happens when the clock signal to both latches are the same (so the not gate at the bottom is removed)

clock.PNG

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

The simulation does not work due to the inherent behavior of the JK master slave FF:

1. If CLK is low at the start, the outputs Q and Qb will be X irrespective of the state of J and K.
  2. If CLk is high at the start and J=0 and K=1, the outputs will still be X. (K input is also Reset for SR flop which is used to build the JK master-slave)

To get the simulation working,

1. Shift the clock edge by some x ns so that it starts HIGH.
  2. Assign J =1 and K = 0 , this is the set condition for the FF.
  3. Follow the rest of the JK FF truth table.

0 Kudos
TGuo0
Beginner

Thanks for the clarification! Unfortunately, when I tried your suggestions, the same result came out. Is there something I'm missing?

try.PNG

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

Take a look at the following projet file. It should help you. It also includes the waveform for simulation.

0 Kudos
TGuo0
Beginner
0 Kudos