Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
266 Discussions

Debugging for DE10-nano SoC data mover

Killercotton
Beginner

Hi everybody, 

I'm looking for help debugging my application on a DE10-anno SoC kit. In short, I built an application that moves data back and forth between FPGA and HPS. However, my application stops after two runs because an IP receiving data doesn't seem to accept a counter reset. Unfortunately, I'm not experienced in debugging this kind of hardware/software combination. The design is a part of my Embedded Systems master thesis. I want to avoid spending too much time on debugging and I hope someone can give me some tips on how to approach this. 

I added a block diagram of my application. The DMAs, the data generator and data checker are all IPs I put together with the platform designer, starting with a golden system reference design. The data generator outputs data that the first DMA copies to the on-chip RAM connected to the HPS. Telling Linux to reserve main memory seemed quite complicated and the on-chip RAM isn't used by Linux. The second DMA reads what's on the on-chip RAM and sends it to the data checker which counts bits and errors. Additionally, the software measures how long it takes and makes sure everything runs smoothly. 

While I have some vague ideas what I could check for errors, I don't have a sophisticated plan for debugging. Additionally, I'm not experienced with the debugging tools included in Quartus. I could look into that but I would like to know first which ones are actually helpful in my case. Besides, I can't guarantee that there is only one bug or that the described problem is related to the data checker or not. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Isaac_V_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Did you follow all the guide for configure the DMA data mover from this link?

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/Datamover

Best regards,

Isaac Vazquez.

Killercotton
Beginner

I did not follow these instructions. As mentioned above, I made my own design. Would that guide work for my hardware? I have a DE10-nano SoC while that guide is for a Cyclone 5 Development Kit. The chips are on the same family but is that enough?