Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems

My First HPS error

Patrick77
Novice

Hi,

I'm new to FPGA SOC. I'm following the user manual and get stuck when doing My_First_HPS project. When I tried to generate the executable file with the given makefile, there is an error saying that the system cannot find the file specified. I have attached the screenshot of the error.

I found some old posts in the community which have the same problem, such as https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-SoC-FPGA-Embedded/my-first-fpga-makefile-error/m-p/625311 and https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-SoC-FPGA-Embedded/my-first-fpga-makefile-error/m-p/625311 . However none of those solution work for me.

I'm using Quartus Prime Standard 20.1 with SoCEDS 20.1. My OS is Windows 10. And I have attached code from the makefile as well, which was downloaded from terasic official website.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Patrick77
Novice

And for the same project, there is another error when I was trying to generate header file with generate_hps_qsys_header.sh script.  I attached the screenshot of the error message as well. Any solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
MV
New Contributor I

@Patrick77 
Any luck there? If it helps - I am having the same issue. Reinstalling the tools for the third time, searching for the missing file in an entire filesystem (so I eliminate path questions) and no success.

0 Kudos
Patrick77
Novice

Hi MV,

Sorry for the late response. I don’t know if you have solved it yet.
It seems that v20.1 is not very stable so my solution is very simple: just use Quartus v18.1 instead of v20.1. Everything works fine after that. 
Hope this works for you as well. **bleep** luck.

MV
New Contributor I

Hi @Patrick77 ,

Not too late - trying to solve some independent issues (understand how to communicate with the FPGA) so I didn't make much progress.
I have installing Quartus in Ubuntu VM on my list but perhaps I will try Quartus 18.x first as you suggest.

Thanks - M

0 Kudos
MV
New Contributor I

I embarked on the Quartus18.1 route and things got better. Even more so after I moved over to Ubuntu 18LTS as the OS (running in VirtualBox on Windows machine).

Not sure if it can be attributed to the virtualization (giving more cores than Quartus seems to handle) but the compile times ate more than 2x longer. However, things seem to be (mostly) working.

@Patrick77 : Thanks for the pointer.

0 Kudos