Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
446 Discussions

RiscFree IDE with Arria 10 SoC Dev Kit - Debugger errors while launching bare metal project

eng6138
Novice

Following these instructions:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/730783/22-3/debug-setup-for-hard-processor-system.html

The GHRD has been compiled and loaded to the Intel Arria 10 SoC Dev Kit.  The next step is to create a project for the Arria 10 HPS, however the instructions are for Agilex and there are no examples dedicated to the Arria 10.  I've tried the Cyclone 10 sum example and also created a "C++ Managed Build -> Hello World C++ Project with Cross GCC toolchain" from Sections 5.2 and Appendix A.1.2 of the instructions above.  (Both result in the same issue.) 

Since the toolchain for the Arm processor is not included in RiscFree IDE, I referred to the link below, in the "U-Boot Examples -> Prerequisites" section, to download it.

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloaderCycloneVAndArria10

I extracted it to the Intel/22.3/riscfree/toolchain/Arm folder.  Back in the hello_world C/C++Build -> Settings properties, I made the following changes, according to Appendix A.1.2 above.

Tool Settings -> Cross Settings -> Prefix:  arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-

Tool Settings -> Cross Settings -> Prefix:  <intel location>/22.3/riscfree/toolchain/Arm/gcc-arm-11.2-2022.02-x86_64-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf/bin

Build finishes successfully. 

I create a new Debug Configuration from "Ashling Arm Hardware Debugging", pointing to the hello_world project.  In the Debugger tab, Debug probe has selected my USB-BlasterII device, the JTAG frequency is set to 16 MHz, Target device is Arria-10, TAP selection is 2, and Core selection is 0 (Cortex-A9). The GDB Client Setup Executable name is set to <intel location>/22.3/riscfree/toolchain/Arm/gcc-arm-11.2-2022.02-x86_64-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gdb

The debugger fails with this shown in the console:

Ashling GDB Server for ARM (ash-arm-gdb-server).
v22.3.2, 19-Aug-2022, (c)Ashling Microsystems Ltd 2022.

Checking for an active debug connection using the selected debug probe (SN: 1):.....
Connected to target device "Arria-10" using USB-Blaster-2 (1) via jtag at 16.00MHz.
Waiting for debugger connection on port 34649 for core 0.
Press 'Q' to Quit.
Got a debugger connection from 127.0.0.1 on port 34649.
[0x20f7c:4] Error: Internal error. Data abort occurred.

[0x20f7c:4] Error: Internal error. Data abort occurred.

[0xffffa104:4] Error: Internal error. Data abort occurred.

Error: Memory access failure at 0xffffa104
Error: Cannot set a software breakpoint in ROM area

And this message appears in the Editor window:

Can't find a source file at "/data/jenkins/workspace/GNU-toolchain/arm-11/src/glibc/csu/../sysdeps/arm/start.S" 
Locate the file or edit the source lookup path to include its location.

I've tried using the default GDB location <intel location>/22.3/riscfree/toolchain/Arm/arm-none-eabi/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb, however it hangs launching.

Using Ubuntu 18.04 and Quartus Pro 22.3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi eng6138

Sorry for the late reply.

It seems like the project created for Agilex & CycloneV in RiscFree is not compatible to the Arria10 board.

I too got trouble trying to create a project for Arria10.

At the moment the RiscFree is still new to Intel that is why there are not much project created.

However I did find another IDE to debug the Arria10 baremetal.

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/SoCEDS#Install_ARM_DS

It is using the Arm DS.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi eng6138

Noted on the forum creation.

Please give me some time while I try to go through the steps.

I will update you as soon as possible.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
eng6138
Novice

I should mention all of the above is without an SD card inserted (with the switches set to boot from SD card).  I've used the GSRD image that includes Linux and the RiscFree IDE hangs indefinitely at 100% while trying to launch the application.  I've build an image from scratch without the Linux parts and it also hangs at the same point.  Below is all that shows in the Console window:

Ashling GDB Server for ARM (ash-arm-gdb-server).
v22.3.2, 19-Aug-2022, (c)Ashling Microsystems Ltd 2022.

Checking for an active debug connection using the selected debug probe (SN: 1):
Connected to target device "Arria-10" using USB-Blaster-2 (1) via jtag at 16.00MHz.
Waiting for debugger connection on port 38491 for core 0.
Press 'Q' to Quit.
Got a debugger connection from 127.0.0.1 on port 38491.
Quitting (Ctrl + C)...

When I finally turn off the board with the debugger hung, the following pop-up occurs:

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select remote localhost:38491
Error message from debugger back end:
Invalid hex digit 116
Invalid hex digit 116
Invalid hex digit 116
Invalid hex digit 116

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi eng6138

Sorry for the late reply.

It seems like the project created for Agilex & CycloneV in RiscFree is not compatible to the Arria10 board.

I too got trouble trying to create a project for Arria10.

At the moment the RiscFree is still new to Intel that is why there are not much project created.

However I did find another IDE to debug the Arria10 baremetal.

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/SoCEDS#Install_ARM_DS

It is using the Arm DS.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since this thread been resolve, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos