Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Running Linux on hps of DE1_SOC

Qazi_Shahid
New Contributor I

Hello all.

I am a newbie and I am trying to run a linux on hps for DE1_SOC. I am using Quartus 18.1 and soc eds 18.1 on windows.

First of all I download a linux console zip file form terasic website and burned the image into sd card using win32diskimager software.

After that I had created a custom system platform designer ( picture is attached here)

Qazi_Shahid_0-1617241432932.png

and programed board using quartus programmer.

Then using bsp-editor tool I create a preloader file from hpsfpa handoff files and used the command “alt-boot-disk-util -p preloader-mkpimage.bin -a write -d D” to load the preloader file into sd card.

When I put sd card into de1 soc board run putty terminal, it is giving error of “reading uboot.scr file”.
How should I create a uboot file, what about the device tree files and how should I tell it to run linux yocto that I had download from teraisc.

I had tried follow the rocketboards workshop on the same topic but they are using some different Qsys system and pre designed files, which I couldn’t map to my custom design.

Any help would be appreciated. ( please keep in mind that I am a newbie and might not understand easily the things that might seems trivial to you).

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I suggest that you read the below on the boot flow of Cyclone V SoC:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GSRDBootFlow

Did you manage to get the boot logs? You may share it here I can take a look.

Qazi_Shahid
New Contributor I

 Hi @EBERLAZARE_I_Intel,

Actually I have followed the document from here.   The document is also attached here below.  ( starts at page 68 ).

Basically What I did is

=> created a preloader image file using bsp-editor

=>  build u-boot from git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git (before building I changed the content of file "/u-boot/include/configs/socfpga_cyclone5_socdk.h"

changed #define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND value to "run callscript"

and replaced #define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS value to
"scriptfile=u-boot.scr" "\0" \
"fpgadata=0x2000000" "\0" \
"callscript=fatload mmc 0:1 $fpgadata $scriptfile;" \
"source $fpgadata" "\0"

It was written in the document ( page 71 ) that it was done to make sure that our custom boot script will run after preloader.

The u-boot.script file is also attacehd here for the reference.  starting few lines are ################################################################################
echo --- Resetting Env variables ---
# reset environment variables to default
env default -a
echo --- Setting Env variables ---
# Set the kernel image
setenv bootimage zImage;

but as seen in the logs on putty snapshot below this script is not being executed and some other error occurred. Could you kindly look into it.

Linux_boot_on_DE1_SOC_0.PNG