Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems

Running Linux on hps of DE1_SOC

Qazi_Shahid
New Contributor I

Hello all.

I am a newbie and I am trying to run a linux on hps for DE1_SOC. I am using Quartus 18.1 and soc eds 18.1 on windows.

First of all I download a linux console zip file form terasic website and burned the image into sd card using win32diskimager software.

After that I had created a custom system platform designer ( picture is attached here)

Qazi_Shahid_0-1617241432932.png

and programed board using quartus programmer.

Then using bsp-editor tool I create a preloader file from hpsfpa handoff files and used the command “alt-boot-disk-util -p preloader-mkpimage.bin -a write -d D” to load the preloader file into sd card.

When I put sd card into de1 soc board run putty terminal, it is giving error of “reading uboot.scr file”.
How should I create a uboot file, what about the device tree files and how should I tell it to run linux yocto that I had download from teraisc.

I had tried follow the rocketboards workshop on the same topic but they are using some different Qsys system and pre designed files, which I couldn’t map to my custom design.

Any help would be appreciated. ( please keep in mind that I am a newbie and might not understand easily the things that might seems trivial to you).

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I suggest that you read the below on the boot flow of Cyclone V SoC:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GSRDBootFlow

Did you manage to get the boot logs? You may share it here I can take a look.

0 Kudos
Qazi_Shahid
New Contributor I

 Hi @EBERLAZARE_I_Intel,

Actually I have followed the document from here.   The document is also attached here below.  ( starts at page 68 ).

Basically What I did is

=> created a preloader image file using bsp-editor

=>  build u-boot from git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git (before building I changed the content of file "/u-boot/include/configs/socfpga_cyclone5_socdk.h"

changed #define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND value to "run callscript"

and replaced #define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS value to
"scriptfile=u-boot.scr" "\0" \
"fpgadata=0x2000000" "\0" \
"callscript=fatload mmc 0:1 $fpgadata $scriptfile;" \
"source $fpgadata" "\0"

It was written in the document ( page 71 ) that it was done to make sure that our custom boot script will run after preloader.

The u-boot.script file is also attacehd here for the reference.  starting few lines are ################################################################################
echo --- Resetting Env variables ---
# reset environment variables to default
env default -a
echo --- Setting Env variables ---
# Set the kernel image
setenv bootimage zImage;

but as seen in the logs on putty snapshot below this script is not being executed and some other error occurred. Could you kindly look into it.

Linux_boot_on_DE1_SOC_0.PNG

0 Kudos