Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
446 Discussions

What QUARTUS Release fixes Year 2038 bug?

MatthewSteger
Beginner

We are using Cyclone IV chips (one is EP4CE30F23) with Quartus 11.1sp2 Build 259 and this NIOSII "system" *HAS* the Year 2038 bug because "time_t" is defined as a SIGNED 32-bit integer.

This is a PROBLEM, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

What version of QUARTUS (including GCC and RE-definition of "time_t") can I upgrade to in order to ensure dates after 2038 will work.

NOTE: I do *NOT* Care about dates PRIOR to 1970 so I am OK (and would actually PREFER) a simple change of "time_t" to UNSIGNED 32-bit Integer which would give us until 2106 (per link above)...our products won't last that long, but they certainly will be around past 2038.

We use SmartCards in our system and they generally have a 10 year Expiration Date so RIGHT NOW that is MID 2031...so we are getting CLOSE to having issues (cards will start expiring PRIOR to 1970 and thus would be EXPIRED).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @MatthewSteger.,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope all is well and apologies for the delayed in response.
Due to a duplication thread that can be found here, we would be closing this thread and continue our discussion in the latest thread mention.
Thank you for the understanding .

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos