Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
321 Discussions

What is Arria10 DS-5 baremetal debug agent reset.system operation doing ?

PHJ
New Contributor I

How is the reset implemented when I issue a reset reset.system command from the DS-5 debugger (connected to the target via the Altera Arria 10 SoC bare metal debug agent) ?

I see different behaviour when I issue this on the A10 dev kit and our A10 custom hardware and need to understand what is happening beneath the DS-5 covers to investigate further.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you explain what is the different behavior that you are observing?

Regarding the reset command in DS-5 please read the reset description from ARM infocenter:

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0452o/CIHGEEBG.html

PHJ
New Contributor I

​Hi -

I do not see our UEFI bootloader run following the reset.  I see the same thing when the HPS WDOG reset occurs.

If I connect the debugger and halt the core, we are stuck in a v tight loop at:

S:0x000003EC : LDR     r1,[r0,#0]

S:0x000003F0 : ANDS    r2,r1,#1

S:0x000003F4 : BEQ     {pc}-8 ; 0x3ec

This is reading the the i_fpga_mgr_fpgamgrregs/misci register at 0xffd03018 looking for bit 0 to be set.

It's always 0 following the HPS WDOG reset.

Does the fact that it is checking this suggest that the boot from the primary boot device(QSPI) has failed ?

Thanks !

Paul

PHJ
New Contributor I

​We've identified the problem here.  The QSPI flash requires a reset to allow the boot to work.  See:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/SocBoardQspiBoot

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Great! Are you applying the Solution #2 that solve your issue?

I would like to know if your initial problem was also solve.