Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
444 Discussions

alt_qspi_read() QSPI addressing problem

MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

alt_qspi_read() is returning data from the QSPI address -1. I've written data to the QSPI by two different methods. quartus_hps.exe and also using alt_qspi_write function it in both cases the data from QSPI is returned out by 1byte address.

I am using the Altera Cyclone V dev kit.

QSPI is setup in PlatformDesigner as per the GSRD examples.

I have debugged through the alt_qspi_read() code and I cannot see any obvious "out by one" issues.

The hardware must be OK I assume since the preloader runs correctly from QSPI and loads my bare metal application and runs it.

The problem is quite easy for me to work around BUT I'm worried that it is the sign of something bad elsewhere!! Has anyone seen similar?

Intel? Can you comment please?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Did you run into any error when writing the data via quartus_hps.exe?

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Hi,

No, writing via quartus_hps.exe is perfect. Never seen any errors and I have written many many times using this exe.

Mike

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I assume if there was no error when booting up the board such as bad u-boot.img etc or anything that prevented the board from booting, everything should be fine.

0 Kudos
JEkla
Beginner

Having the same issue. We are reading an image that was programed with quartus_hps.exe and data read with alt_qspi_read is shifted 1 byte.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Hi JEKla,

I'm kinda pleased to hear that it's not just me..... maybe we'll get more help from Intel in this case....

What h/w are you using? Are you on the Intel/Atlera dev board?

Mike

0 Kudos
JEkla
Beginner

We are using a board that’s is designed using Cyclone V SX SoC development kit as reference. Our software tools are Quartus Prime Lite 17.1 and Intel SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite 14.1.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Are you using the same QSPI IC on your board?

0 Kudos
JEkla
Beginner

We are using N25Q512A83GSF40F.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

I see, that's the same IC as I have on the Dev Kit board. My gut is that the Altera C code is to blame rather than the IC/board...... something in the QSPI indirect read code............. but no comment yet from Intel/Altera....

I've worked around the issue by adjusting the requests into alt_qspi_read(). I wrote a wrapper around this function and I read to address -4 with size +4. Hence I read the preceeding 4 bytes also.... then I pull out the data that I really want........ it's a total HACK of course but it is a reliable HACK for now until I find out the real source of the issue.

@INTEL ----- please give us some more input guys/girls.... your FPGA SoC is awesome.... loadsa folks wanna make solutions out of it and give you loads more money for these ICs but you really need to support us better..... pleeeease

JEkla
Beginner

We are also stuck with a workaround solution for the moment.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Forgive me if I'm telling you something that you already know here but you have to word align your read requests in your workaround....... Hence you cannot read address-1 as a work around.... you have to read address-4 -- to the end of where you want to read and then copy the data out of the buffer....... forgive me if I'm teaching grannies to suck eggs 🙏

Good luck

Mike

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

May I know which Quartus Version and SoC EDS that you are using?

Regards.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

HI

Quartus Prime Lite Edition v18.1.1

"Intel FPGA 18.1.0.625

0 Kudos