Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.
1448 Discussions

Cannot upgrade to latest PSW on Windows 10 Pro Version 1709

ginzberg__yehonatan

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade to Intel SGX PSW for Windows v1.9.106.43403 (hoping it'll solve issue I'm having with VTune - but that is another matter) with no luck - at the beginning of the msi installation I'm getting the following message

Operating system "Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299" is not supported.
Installation will end because this operating system is not supported. 
Suggestion: Check Release Notes for a list of supported operating systems and install this product on a compliant system.

> I tried force cmd installation, logs show the same fatal error.
> The release notes mention my version of windows as supported
> The latest SGX SDK installed correctly

My current system:
1. SGX SDK v1.9.106.43403
2. SGX PSW v1.9.105.42329
3. Intel i7-7500U
4. Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.334

Are there any known issues with the installation? Is it possible that i'm running an advanced version of windows that is not supported? (Win10 10.0.16299.309 public release on March 13 >> latest PSW was released on March 16 >> I'm running Windows Build 16299.334 from March 22)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Francisco_C_Intel

>i.e. does it also place new PSW dlls that arrive with the PSW installation package? 

Yes. The driver package for the Software Component device consists of DLLs, EXEs, etc. that make up the PSW. Instead of having an EXE or MSI install the files, we are using a declarative INF to do this.

>How can I verify?
You can go to the "Services" console and look for Intel(R) SGX AESM. If it's there, it was installed, and the Properties will also tell you the path for the executable, for example

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\sgx_psw.inf_amd64_df0bea5643beeb1b\aesm_service.exe

You can then go to that directory inspect the binaries for their version number if you like.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Francisco_C_Intel

Please check 

Device Manager -> Software Components

In Windows Version 1709, this is where the SGX PSW install is shown (instead of Add/Remove Programs), and gets installed automatically by Windows update. 

If you have an environment that is not configured for Windows Update, you can use sgx_base.inf and sgx_psw.inf, included in the download from registrationcenter.

Thanks,

Francisco

0 Kudos
ginzberg__yehonatan

Thank you Francisco, My environment is configured for Windows Update, I've checked the status manually and it reports to have the latest updates.

Manual update of the driver (via Device Manager) does seem to update to latest version - but I wonder whether this method capture the whole update? i.e. does it also place new PSW dlls that arrive with the PSW installation package? How can I verify?

0 Kudos
Francisco_C_Intel

>i.e. does it also place new PSW dlls that arrive with the PSW installation package? 

Yes. The driver package for the Software Component device consists of DLLs, EXEs, etc. that make up the PSW. Instead of having an EXE or MSI install the files, we are using a declarative INF to do this.

>How can I verify?
You can go to the "Services" console and look for Intel(R) SGX AESM. If it's there, it was installed, and the Properties will also tell you the path for the executable, for example

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\sgx_psw.inf_amd64_df0bea5643beeb1b\aesm_service.exe

You can then go to that directory inspect the binaries for their version number if you like.

0 Kudos