Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Examples loading enclave from buffer?

Daniel_ˢᵍˣ
New Contributor I

Any examples available using sgx_create_enclave_from_buffer_ex and invoking ecalls and ocalls of the loaded enclave?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sahira_Intel

Hi,

While there are no samples using that function included in the SGX SDK, I am sending you a patch to convert SampleEnclave which uses sgx_create_enclave to sgx_create_enclave_from_buffer_ex (the file type is not supported so I am sending you a PM of it)

You can apply it to the linux-sgx repo. 

Sincerely,

Sahira

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi,

While there are no samples using that function included in the SGX SDK, I am sending you a patch to convert SampleEnclave which uses sgx_create_enclave to sgx_create_enclave_from_buffer_ex (the file type is not supported so I am sending you a PM of it)

You can apply it to the linux-sgx repo. 

Sincerely,

Sahira

Daniel_ˢᵍˣ
New Contributor I

Thank you Sahira, the patched example worked.

A related question:

In terms of security, is there an advantage in using mmap instead of reading the enclave into a buffer and using that buffer as input to sgx_create_enclave_from_buffer_ex

¹ I created a hello world where the enclave is read into a buffer (fopen + fread) instead of using mmap and it appears to work as well.

0 Kudos
Daniel_ˢᵍˣ
New Contributor I

Hello,

The patched sample worked, thank you.

A related question:

In terms of security, is there an advantage in using mmap instead of reading the enclave into a buffer (fopen + fread) and using that buffer in sgx_create_enclave_from_buffer_ex?

0 Kudos
Sahira_Intel

Hi,

It is technically faster. sgx_create_enclave_from_buffer_ex can be used without mmap if the user already has the enclave image buffer.

Sincerely,

Sahira