Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Having problem when install SGX PSW on ubuntu 64 16.04.4

wu__liangan
Beginner

Hi Folks,

It seems I have no problem or errors when I installed SGX driver and SGX SDK(https://download.01.org/intel-sgx/linux-2.1.2/ubuntu64-desktop/). However, When I installed the PSW, the error in syslog shown up like this:

Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP systemd[1]: aesmd.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP systemd[1]: Stopped Intel(R) Architectural Enclave Service Manager.
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP systemd[1]: Couldn't stat device /dev/sgx
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP systemd[1]: Couldn't stat device /dev/isgx
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP systemd[1]: Starting Intel(R) Architectural Enclave Service Manager...
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP systemd[1]: Started Intel(R) Architectural Enclave Service Manager.
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP aesm_service[29988]: SGX Service unavailable
Apr  2 12:19:57 liangnan-HP aesm_service[29988]: Fail to start service.

And the only installation error I got is "libiclsclient.so or iclsInit() cannot be found. Trusted platform service is unavailable. Refer to README for details." But i don't think this is related.

Is there anything I can do to solve this. Right now, even the sample code will give me "Error code is 0x4001. Please refer to the "Intel SGX SDK Developer Reference" for more details."

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AArya2
New Contributor I

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm running Linux Virtual Machines on Hyper-V, Windows 10.

On Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.4, there was no problem.

On Ubuntu Server 16.04.4, I get the error messages:

libiclsclient.so or iclsInit() cannot be found.

Trusted platform service is unavailable. Refer to README for details.

Job for aesmd.service failed because the control process exited with error code...

When I do a "systemctl status aesmd.service" I see that "/opt/intel/sgxpsw/aesm/aesm_service" exits with status=127.

0 Kudos
you_w_
New Contributor III

Hi wu, liangan

Is SGX enabled in your Bios settings ? It seems that your sgx driver doesn't work. Can you see "isgx" under "/dev" ?

Reguards

You

0 Kudos
you_w_
New Contributor III

Hi Arya P:

It says ”libiclsclient.so“ can not be fond. Do you installed iclsclient in ubuntu server? If you have installed it, you can let the system find it by:

first:
touch /etc/ld.so.conf.d/iclsclient.conf

second: and add the path of libiclsclient.so to it
vim /etc/ld.so.conf.d/iclsclient.conf  

''''
/opt/Intel/iclsClient/lib/libiclsclient.so
/opt/Intel/iclsClient/lib32/libiclsclient.so
''''
then run:
ldconfig

Reguards

you