Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Intel NUC i3 7th Gen. SGX Support

Anurag_M_
Beginner

I am planning to buy an Intel NUC with an i3 Processor.  

1. The one with 7th Generation Processor is Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH,
  2. The 6th generation is Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I3SYH

In the forum topics, I find links for drivers and softwares for 6th Generation processor running Windows.

Can I buy the 7th Generation I3 NUC to develop SGX application under Ubuntu16.04?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rodolfo_S_
New Contributor III

Hi.

Yes, you can use 7th generation Intel processors to develop and run applications that use Intel SGX under Ubuntu 16.04.

0 Kudos
Anurag_M_
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply. Does Intel NUC need any NUC specific software or the setup instructions mentioned in the setup guide sufficient ?. Sorry for bothering, but I am planning to use the NUC exclusively for development using SGX and hence I have to make sure that the NUC supports SGX.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ddon
Beginner

Anurag - while the NUC you plan on purchasing has a 7th Gen processor, you'll want to make sure the MB of that NUC supports SGX in BIOS. There are lots of Gen 7 systems in the market place that do not support SGX in the BIOS. Double check before you buy.

0 Kudos
Rodolfo_S_
New Contributor III

Hi.

Based on the information provided here, the NUC with the 6th generation processor you mentioned has been confirmed to support SGX.
The 7th generation one is not listed as supporting SGX, so I'd verify it with the vendor before buying it.

0 Kudos
Juan_d_Intel
Employee

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH supports SGX. I ran the sample enclave in both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04, see related topic.

0 Kudos